Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: What would you do under these circumstances
Watch a second beautifully furred black bear walk 49 98.00%
Drop him right there, haul him off and nobody knows what happened 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

What would you have done under these circumstances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Re: What would you have done under these circumstances

True story, and one of the guys is on here.

We were hunting elk on 130,000 acres of private with good elk hunting and a number of hunters spread around near Craig, Colorado. I had already taken a really nice 6x6 and was helping my buddies who had never shot an elk. A good herd of about 150 elk with a 7x8, two 7x7's and several 7x6 and 6x6's in the herd showed up coming out of a canyon. We drove around to get ahead of them. We did and were in perfect position but there was 100 acres of private cut alfalfa field that we could not hunt on out of 130,000 acres. Those elk stood in that field awhile then layed down in it. A couple of the big bulls walked right to the edge a few times but did not cross the line. They watched us and we watched them and they never came out of there. We didn't shoot although we were way out in the middle of nowhere.

Next morning we found another herd and began a long stalk. The bulls got away but one guy had a cow tag and decided to shoot a cow and then follow the herd for the other guy to get a bull. Little did we know that the piece of ground had been recently sold but showed on our map as legal hunting. The game warden was waiting at the truck to tell us the story but the landowner was persistent to press charges. It cost the two guys about $1500 each and loss of their hunting priviledges for awhile. And the one guy never fired a shot. No way they would shoot a cow or anything else on another guys land but they didn't know. We tried to explain what had happenned the day before but it made no difference. He could have easily got a cow on the ranch but he thought he was legal. I felt some leniency should have been made but it wasn't. It left a sour taste in our mouth for sure.
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future

Unread 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Its the hunters responsability too make damn sure he knows where he can and cant hunt,its nobodys fault but their own and the landowner had every right to press the issue,we would have done the same on our ranch,its not our job to notify every hunter in the area where he is and isnt legal and I would expect the same if I dropped the ball the way they did.To ask this question on a hunting site is rediculous,nobody,regardless of their actual ethics is going to say you should have poached the bear,although it sounds like you considered it?
Unread 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

NONYA,I re-read the first post and never got that SS7mm ever considered shooting the second bear.

So, who is the 1 rotten apple in the barrel? :confused:
B R A S S- Breathe Relax Aim Stop Squeeze
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Checked to see if anyone was in sight,range the shot,ect,ect,just sounded like he considered it,either way its a one side issue,its a non question among everyone I hunt with and NOBODY is going to go online and say they would have poached a game animal if they had been there.
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by Sendero_Man View Post
You got to let him walk...

How the hell could you be proud of something like that if you knew it was illegal.

Show your buddies the "illegal" mount and brag about it...

I think not.
I agree with Sendero_Man. If you always do the right thing, you never have to worry about looking over your shoulder.
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Gold Member

I think you made your point, or did you have onelight bulb:confused:
I'm almost embarrased to be from the same state as you.
Why do you continually go from site to site stirring the pot?
I'd Rather Make a Slow Hit Than a Fast Miss!

Last edited by gamedog; 09-17-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would let him walk.

Unfortunately in the area I live in, he would get drilled 8 out of 10 times I would suspect. We have a big problem with trespassing in my area. I have set hunting whitetails and had 160 class whitetails less then 1/4 mile away feeding for hours on end but they were a couple hundred yards across a property line where I could not hunt.

You sit and watch them and hope you get lucky and a hot doe brings them over that fence. There would really be no chance of getting caught but its simply not the right thing to do or worth the risk.

Every year we hear of 180 class whitetails and 200 class mule deer being poached off the highways and county roads that go through some of the best deer country in the world. Some get caught, most do not but in the end they are all worthless on my opinion and on reason hunting is now turning into a rich mans game because most land owners will not put up with many hunters because of being burned in the past.

Now they just ask for alot of money to gain access to their property or shut it down completely.

Would be a no-go for me......
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: