Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: What would you do under these circumstances
Watch a second beautifully furred black bear walk 49 98.00%
Drop him right there, haul him off and nobody knows what happened 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

What would you have done under these circumstances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

What would you have done under these circumstances

Did some pre-season scouting for deer and had a very interesting time. Saw lots of deer, a coyote that wouldn't co-operate, turkey etc. but the black furry critters are the center of this little discussion.

Early in the day we spotted a big black bear in a small opening. This was the biggest black bear I've ever seen in the wild in this state. He was one of those that has a big pumpkin head with little ears that look like they sit way out on the side of his head. His legs looked short and his belly was close to the ground. Everything about him spelled big black bear but by the time I got set up he had moved into the really thick stuff and we never saw him again.

After the disappointment of not getting the shot we continued for the day. Later we traveled through some land that was posted, although only every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so, on both sides of the road. It was pretty open and you could see most of it for a long ways. We knew from the time spent there and all of our looking that there wasn't anyone else for miles around. There were no livestock in the immediate area and we had it to ourselves. Moving along a hillside a black bear jumped up below the old jeep trail we were on and ran down the slight incline below us. I yelled and got no response so I whistled and he stopped and turned broadside at about 152 yards. (I checked it with the Swaro afterwards) He stood broadside and I could see him testing the air for scent. Then, he turned, walked a little and again turned broadside and just stood there.

1.5# of pressure on the trigger and he would drop in his tracks.

Now remember the posted signs even though this was the middle of nowhere and nobody was within miles???

What would you have done under these circumstances? Had to watch a huge black bear walk earlier in the day and now this guy, of a little better than average size, is standing broadside. 1.5# of pressure and about 10 minutes work and he's in the back of the truck.

Pull the trigger or let a second beautifully furred black bear walk?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: What would you have done under these circumstances

Stupid questions usually bring on a S$%# storm of stupid responses,you ready?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Let it walk..Its the right thing to do. Also it would cost WAY to much if you got caught!

If you saw two in one day, I would say your odds of finding another are better than good.

Willys
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
SPONSOR

You got to let him walk...

How the hell could you be proud of something like that if you knew it was illegal.

Show your buddies the "illegal" mount and brag about it...

I think not.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Stupid question???? Brings stupid responses????? My akin ass!!!!

Had similar experience with a herd of cow elk and me with a cow tag. They were were a long easy stalk away on posted property and I even knew who the owner was. But did/do not have permission.

Thus the bear and elk will live another day and I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time.

However I did shot the elk with the Cannon.........30D that is.;) Wooda done the same to that second bear.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Stupid question???? Brings stupid responses????? My painful behind!!!!

Had similar experience with a herd of cow elk and me with a cow tag. They were were a long easy stalk away on posted property and I even knew who the owner was. But did/do not have permission.

Thus the bear and elk will live another day and I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time.

However I did shot the elk with the Cannon.........30D that is.;) Wooda done the same to that second bear.
I made a tiny change to your post to fully back it up!!! I'd go hunting with you any time!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with the group here. Let him walk or take a great photo. I am impressed with the answers. IMO, anyone that would have taken that Bear, knowing it was not right, is someone that has never owned their own ground and does not respect the rights and property of others. But then, I don't believe stolen watermelons are sweeter either.

Jeff