Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What would you do if someone at the range called you crazy and full of $h!t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
On the other hand one could say "sach mir vas das eich nicht veiss"!!! LOL Make sure and use your best German accent!!
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!

Unread 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Silver Member
ss7mm, great read and great composure. I would have been in the betting mode to shut him up, you did it right.

Nice shooting too!
Unread 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Silver Member
Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Great read!

I have guilded a number of hunters ove the years on all types of big game, but there was one stand out incident your story brought to mind.

We were high racking West TX Mule Deer when I spot a nice 5X4 at the base of a rock slide. The hunter was an older gentalman that was shooting one or the first 7mm RM I'd ever seen...that ages me doesn't it. This is way before range finders, but I was/am fairly decent out to about 500yds. I called the shot at 300, he settles in and takes a shot. It hit so far up the slide the deer didn't even know he was shooting at him, about 15 feet high. I told him the shot was way high. The next shot is around 10 feet high, again I call that it's very high. The deer is still standing there. His 3rd shot rings out, just over his antlers. At the bullet impact the deer runs down the slide towards us and stops. This is when he tells me he is out of ammo and his shells are on the front seat of the truck.

I just right off the top of the rack and grab the shells off the seat. He pops one round in the gun looks at me and asks, "how far did you say it is?". I told him a bit over 250 now, at the crack the mulely stand on it's back legs and falls over backwards, but jump right back up. I'm getting pretty frustrated about this time and again he asks "how far is that?" The mulely is now wallking away from us, I made a quick decision and told him to aim for the base of the tail. I knew the animal was already hit and wanted him on the ground. He loaded another round and fired, this folding the deer on the spot.

We later found the first hit was to the base of the deers ear! After it was all over he questioned whether the shot was as ar as I had said. I already knew the gun was 1 1/2 high at 100, we shot it in when he arrived. He was using handloaded ammo that was pretty hot too.

He thought he needed that much elevation (15') to make the shot! During my time on that ranch I regularly shot doe with 270win out to 300 yards without any problem from the high rack, so I knew what 300 looked like.

As you guys well know, you gotta know your gun!
There is not such thing as too many guns, safes or fishing poles!

Last edited by Captn C; 03-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member
Something I've been using to aid in 500 and under visual range estimation is golf references. Is it a par 5, 4 or 3?

But none of that will help you if you're tacking on 15' of elevation at 300 ;)