Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

what self defense caliber for crazy chimps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
what self defense caliber for crazy chimps?

During the whole crazy monkey attack news a week or so ago, i kept looking for what caliber handgun was used to shoot him. i went so far as to call the police dept in Conn where it happened. The guy i talked to there said he couldnt talk about it of course, but when i asked what was the standard issue sidearm for the dept, he told me "glock 45 auto". now all the news reports said he was shot"numerous times" from close range, (like across the seat of the police car!)...and he still made it back inside the house before he died! I guess that just proves the point that Jeff Cooper used to make. He said in his book that a handgun is wonderful when that is all you have, but if you have some killing to do, take a rifle. AJ
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: what self defense caliber for crazy chimps?

I would venture to say that a sawed off 12ga shotgun would be the best.

Steve
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Someone once said, the only thing a handgun is good for is to give you time to get to your rifle.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Theirs alot more to stopping an animal human or otherwise , if he was shot with a 300 win mag and a full metal jacket bullet then he would last a pretty long time but if you shot him with a Mag-Safe round from a 9mm in the chest then he would expire alot faster.

If the officer was using a 45 ACP with decient hollow point ammo and hit him in the chest cavity , then the monkey was dead and dien't know it. This brings up better training for our officers , it should be automatic for sombody who is shooting a threat to place 2 shots to the chest and one to the head , commonly known as a "failure drill" or "Mozambique drill" , this is just incase the threat is wearing body armor or the bullets to the chest fail to stop the animal the third round will shut down the nervous system.

Like any animal that doesen't know he is supposed to die when their shot they can cover alot of ground in the 30 seconds it takes to die.

Think about it , just about anybody can hold their breath for 30 seconds and unless you directly stop blood from getting to the brain you won't pass out from O2 loss , the average man could probably run 200yds in 30 seconds. So if a guy of monkey gets shot them covering an average yard is no real big deal.

I personaly carry a 45 ACP in a Glock 21 pistol , more because the grip fits my bigger hands better than the 9mm and 40 cals do , I would gladly trade the very little bit of energy that the 45 offers over the 40 for 3 extra rounds !!

Again it boild down to the right bullets being used and the proper training to put those bullets where they need to go.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

this was exactly the reason i was researching this. was it poor shot placement , using the wrong bullet(ie: hardtack ammo), or just that the chimp was that much tougher than the average human. I dont ever remember hearing of a homo sapiens taking 3 or 4 to the chest at point blank range and making it that far. AJ
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
this was exactly the reason i was researching this. was it poor shot placement , using the wrong bullet(ie: hardtack ammo), or just that the chimp was that much tougher than the average human. I dont ever remember hearing of a homo sapiens taking 3 or 4 to the chest at point blank range and making it that far. AJ
no ofenses but ive seen an afull lot of cop shows were the cop couldn't hit the broside of a barn

Last edited by cabelas90; 03-04-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: cant spell for crap
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
the average man could probably run 200yds in 30 seconds.
Dam, I must be getting older than the average guy!!