Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What Is The Lowest Temp You've Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

What Is The Lowest Temp You've Hunted?

The lowest temperature I have ever been out hunting was probably -15*F (-26*C), though I've cut wood at -27*F (-33*C), and been riding my snogo at -34*F (-37*C).
So how 'bout you guys? Oh, here is a good shot of today's temps in my neck of the woods:

Better living through chemistry.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: What Is The Lowest Temp You've Hunted?

I'm glad that you have that weather;
The coldest weather that I have hunted in is -40 f.
The coldest weather was back in 1985 - with a wind chill of -99
this was at a altitude of 5000 ft in the rockies on a north facing slope.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Went coyote hunting in February about 5 years ago and it was -25-30 F. Once it gets below -10 anything colder seems hard to tell.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Man alive! -40* and -30*, that 's plenty cold. I just got back in from tuning the carb on my chainsaw so I could go cut some wood. Before I stay out more than 10 minutes at a time, I have to get into my serious gear. Putting it on and taking it off is a hassle for in-and-out stuff though.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

-40 F is the coldest I've hunted in and that was without windchill factored in.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Left the jeep at 4:00 am and the temp was -5.......eastern Idaho mid 1980's wind blew all day. Have no idea how cold with the chill. Did not see a decent buck all day. Anymore below zero I'm not going.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

-30f with the wind howling, SW Mt.. We were thankful the truck started on the first growl cause thats all the battery we had. Had to let it run 30-40 minutes to get it out of gear. Old truck, had a thermos on the floor freeze with the heaters on. A creek ice dammed just as we came to it, it diverted over the road, we were glad to get out. Shot one old snowshoe hare with my 41 magnum, left ear still rings from that one. Under the heading of God works in strange ways, we came upon a woman with a broke down car, a baby, and 2 kids about dark, miles from anywhere, and gave them a ride to town. I'm not sure that would have turned out good otherwise. As it was with the woman and baby up front, the 2 bigger kids and I got in back, (an old single layer aluminum uninsulated shell), and covered up with all the sleeping bags, blankets, laid out on our duffels. I really believe that was the purpose of the whole trip.
I'll leave it to other folks these days.