Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What kind of Holster do you use for your concealed weapon??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What kind of Holster do you use for your concealed weapon??

I really like my Desantis holster. It's very comfortable, especially when a t-shirt is tucked in behind it. I carry a Glock (which is hard enough to conceal considering it's so fat) but I'm sure it would be just as functional/comfortable with your Kimber (I'm not saying to get the Glock holster for your gun. If it's available, Desantis would have made a holster that would be molded to the Kimber 1911). Oh, and if I remember correctly, they aren't that expensive at all. Mine is leather and it was like $40 or $50. Good luck.

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I have a Kimber 1911 45 ACP I need a good holster that I can carry in my waiste band I want one that I can wear under my T shirt while the wife and I are out walking . What do you use ? or What do you suggest?

Thanks BigBuck

I use a Mitch Rosen along with one of Mitch's belts for IWB carry with a full size 1911. This set up is very comfortable and keeps the weapon his very well. I highly recomend Mitch Rosen leather
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

What kind of leather does Mitch Rosen use ? The reason I ask is because one of my family members makes and sells leather belts, Cell phone covers wallets . I'm thinking he could make me what I'm looking for . He uses Cow Hide .

BigBuck
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

He uses cowhide. Belts that are designed for holsters are different than any belt you will buy in a store. The are thicker and extremely stiff/rigid - to the point that they are uncomfortable when you first start using them - once they break in and conform to your body they are fine - still stiff but comfortable. They do a much better job of securing the holster wether its inside or outside the waistband.
RMNS 8:28
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks MN HUNTER, I was told that I may be able to split the leather belt and add a plastic liner of some sort to and then stitch the belt togehter , Is this how the special pistol belts are made I mean I've seen the whole side of a cow hide and I dont think that the stiffest part would be as stiff as what you guys are using I may be wrong though.

BigBuck
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

My belt from Mitch is a solid one piece. Its been a long time since I did my research on belts - don't remember a whole lot anymore - I do know that some manufactures do put in inserts. I wish I could be of more help - I can only suggest you call and talk to a couple of different manufacturers. Mitch Rosen, Desantsis, Kramer, Milt Sparks... - all make good holsters. I don't own any Sparks holsters but I believe he does specialize in 1911 style guns.

Just a little bit of a warning: Holsters are a very personal item. Fit and comfort are very much an individual thing. I know several people that carry - all of us have several holsters laying around that we thought would be the way to go. Its a little bit of a crap shoot until you can actually wear it. If you have any buddies that have holster I suggest you borrow one for a while - (days not hours).

A suggestion - stay away from any middle/small of the back type holsters. They increase the risk of back injury if you happen to fall on them.
RMNS 8:28

Last edited by MN Hunter; 04-12-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hunter View Post
My belt from Mitch is a solid one piece. Its been a long time since I did my research on belts - don't remember a whole lot anymore - I do know that some manufactures do put in inserts. I wish I could be of more help - I can only suggest you call and talk to a couple of different manufacturers. Mitch Rosen, Desantsis, Kramer, Milt Sparks... - all make good holsters. I don't own any Sparks holsters but I believe he does specialize in 1911 style guns.

Just a little bit of a warning: Holsters are a very personal item. Fit and comfort are very much an individual thing. I know several people that carry - all of us have several holsters laying around that we thought would be the way to go. Its a little bit of a crap shoot until you can actually wear it. If you have any buddies that have holster I suggest you borrow one for a while - (days not hours).

A suggestion - stay away from any middle/small of the back type holsters. They increase the risk of back injury if you happen to fall on them.
Thanks for all of your help and advice . I was kind of feeling like in the end I would have bought a few holsters I guess there is no way around the trial and error for some things .

BigBuck