Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

what handgun for my fiance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: what handgun for my fiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
For the money and ease of use: S&W Bodyguard 38 with laser! I think it can be had for under $500!
+1 Nothing complicated when the SHTF!

No safety to leave on, magazine to accidentally release or slide to bite her hand.

I have properly introduced/trained my wife and at the range she has proved proficient in many platforms. But for my wife or any other novice: in the house, scared and alone; keep it simple with a revolver! Aim and pull the trigger until the gun stops going bang! At the end, the assailant will either be dead or gone.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
+1 Nothing complicated when the SHTF!

No safety to leave on, magazine to accidentally release or slide to bite her hand.

I have properly introduced/trained my wife and at the range she has proved proficient in many platforms. But for my wife or any other novice: in the house, scared and alone; keep it simple with a revolver! Aim and pull the trigger until the gun stops going bang! At the end, the assailant will either be dead or gone.
Thats my theory
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
For the money and ease of use: S&W Bodyguard 38 with laser! I think it can be had for under $500!
+1 on that choice or the new scandium frame 38 hammerless with laser. Same price is right at $500.

Put Rem 124gr golden saber in them.

If an automatic, the the Kahr CW9 is the best IMO. Easy to manipulate slide, best double action trigger out there and extremely accurate and best feeling in the hand.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM

S&W Airweight Hammerless in .38
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

What is your price range? How does she handle the shotgun? If she likes the shotgun, you might think about a shorter barrel for it.

Its a good call on the revolver also, but small and light means easy to carry but less fun to shoot for some one new to them. Consider a bit larger frame like a S&W K frame, A model 10 is quite comfortable to shoot all day, and a
M-19,M-66 is good to go with 38s and she can move up to 357 ammo when she feels comfortable with it. They can be found with 2 1/2 inch barrels if you want something short .

You said she can handle 9mm and .40, so you might look at places like Summit Gun Broker, if your on a budget. Mark is great to work with and he had used Glock 17s (9mm) and 22s (40) both are full size service autos, and a good number of SIG P229s (mid size auto with decocker) in .40 in stock as police trades.
I picked up a nice P229 with no rail from him about 3 weeks ago and its a nice gun, came with night sights. The sights seemed dimm but after I cleaned them they turned out to have a good bit of life left in them. He also runs a weekly special that starts on fridays and has been very good, he had the SIG 229s for $395.00 about a week after I ordered mine (just my luck).

Ammo cost is something to consider. 38s used to be as cheap as it got but not any more. 9mm fills that role now and .40 is not to bad. Defensive ammo will set you back a good bit more than practice ammo, but with an auto you still need to run enough defensive ammo through it to be shure it will work in your gun. No matter what you get as has been said all ready get some training for her and practice practice practice. If you can convince her to do dry fire drills it helps out more than you might think.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

My choice for this application would be a S&W hammerless 38 Special +P. If she gets nervous as any of us can she would just cycle thru a weak trigger pull and she would naturally cycle thru a bad cartridge. I have a friend who teaches women and this is his choice. I have practiced with the issues listed above and the revolver does work well. Formal training is really important with handguns.

But I must add I am a big fan of Glocks. And I must also add, with an automatic I have seen all of the jamming issues, not a big problem if you practice, practice, practice but that might not always be the case, especially with this application. Formal training is really important with handguns.

I also knew a man many years back who said he would never buy a woman a handgun because they can get hormonal. I also knew a man who got shot several times by his wife and he had the scars to prove it. Formal training is really important with handguns.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

My wife is not a fan of the revolver. I got her a little SIG P238, .380, and she does very well with it. Sweet little shooter if I may say so myself.