Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

Kahr MK9 in 9mm..all stainless & very very accurate for a subcompact, the DA is buttery smooth.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I always carry a glock 19 9mm. I will never leave the house without it. I cant beleive that there isnt more people that carry glocks. If your life depends on it, I would never take a chance of having some sort of failure due tothe weapon not being cleaned well enough after the last time you shot it, or too much dust has settled in it and collected on any lube, etc. About the only other gun I would consider carrying is probably a SIG, something in the P226 or P229 range. I used to carry a H&K usp .45 and it was a great gun as far as accuracy and reliability but it was a bit bulky and was hard to hide and with all of the attention on people having guns in public as a late, I will opt for something a little more concealable. I will not however go to any subcompact weapon. It just seems that you give up too much to have a smaller weapon. And to the point of not having a thumb safety and being scared of just the safety on the trigger and shooting your third leg off, you may need to practice and get your confidence level up a bit, I always carry with one in the pipe. It seems silly to me to have to not only take the time to draw the weapon, when your life is on the line, but then to have to rack the slide to even opperate it. You may as well just start swinging. Of coarse, this is just my opinion and it should not be taken personal, even if you are one that is worried about shooting your (brains) out!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootinfool View Post
I always carry a glock 19 9mm. I will never leave the house without it. I cant beleive that there isnt more people that carry glocks. If your life depends on it, I would never take a chance of having some sort of failure due tothe weapon not being cleaned well enough after the last time you shot it, or too much dust has settled in it and collected on any lube, etc. About the only other gun I would consider carrying is probably a SIG, something in the P226 or P229 range. I used to carry a H&K usp .45 and it was a great gun as far as accuracy and reliability but it was a bit bulky and was hard to hide and with all of the attention on people having guns in public as a late, I will opt for something a little more concealable. I will not however go to any subcompact weapon. It just seems that you give up too much to have a smaller weapon. And to the point of not having a thumb safety and being scared of just the safety on the trigger and shooting your third leg off, you may need to practice and get your confidence level up a bit, I always carry with one in the pipe. It seems silly to me to have to not only take the time to draw the weapon, when your life is on the line, but then to have to rack the slide to even opperate it. You may as well just start swinging. Of coarse, this is just my opinion and it should not be taken personal, even if you are one that is worried about shooting your (brains) out!
I can undertsand the ideah of taking to long to rack the slide but I hav small kids that like to run up and grab me around the leg right below the barrel of a loaded gun . So now you may see why I would keep the chamber empty. If it helps I am super fast at the draw
Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I can undertsand the ideah of taking to long to rack the slide but I hav small kids that like to run up and grab me around the leg right below the barrel of a loaded gun . So now you may see why I would keep the chamber empty. If it helps I am super fast at the draw
sure leaves you in a quandry for carry methods doesn't it? My little one does that to.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
sure leaves you in a quandry for carry methods doesn't it? My little one does that to.
Yes sir it sure does. I used to have a 1911 45 ACP that I carried it had the thumb safety and the 1911 grip style safety even with it I never got comfortable enough to keep it loaded in my waste band due to the kiddos. So I just kept the clip loaded and the chamber empty. I think I could rack it very fast if my family was in danger......
Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

Nightstand duty is a STI Edge (21 rounds of .40).

Carry is a Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy49 View Post
Use old school 45 cap, brand is a Para Ordance P14 Limited!!! No replacement for displacement!!!! 185 gold dots!!!
My friend has a para-ordinance 45. I was amazed at how sloppy the slide was and how loose the chamber is. His will chamber anything handloaded. My Kimber will only chamber FL resized (to the base) 45 brass and the slide is tight, but then, you get what you pay for, I guess.

My favorite carry gun is featured in the NRA 'American Hunter' magazine this month, the Bond Snakeslayer in the 45LC/410 flavor.