Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

I just bought a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 Cal . I have a Concealed weapons permit and I decided to purchase something that would hold more rounds "Larger Mag" I go to church with a man that bought one and he let me shoot his and so here I am with a new toy... It is pretty accurate, given the price I feel it is a good Bang for the buck. Holds 15 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

What do you guys carry for personal protection ?
Thanks for looking...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What Hand Gun do you use for Personal Protection??

My bedroom gun is a Glock 22 .40. It is hi-cap and always goes bang. I found it to be too large to carry comfortably/well concealed, so I was carrying less and less.

I ended up getting a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new carry piece a few years back. It is a single stack (7+1) but is very thin. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't disappear in my hand as it has a wide grip, but it is thin which makes concealed carry much easier. Over the last several years most of the majors have introduced thin carry guns in 9mm. In my opinion it is a trade-off: less capacity and power than bigger .40s, more power than 380s while only slightly larger. The PPS is available in .40 - I haven't shot one but heard they are pretty poppy - and most gun stores I go into have 3 or 4 used ones but curiously no 9's . . .

IMO the main thing is to have it with you and be able to get it into action quickly and effectively - the most powerful pistol you can do that with is your ideal carry gun.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

I'm currently short a 9 right now, looking pretty hard at a M&P9mm, or a PT92. need to get another to justify the pile of 9mm components I've accumulated over the years. But for now the Herters Powermag 357 makes a good gun for the truck, backpack and night stand.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
My bedroom gun is a Glock 22 .40. It is hi-cap and always goes bang. I found it to be too large to carry comfortably/well concealed, so I was carrying less and less.

I ended up getting a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new carry piece a few years back. It is a single stack (7+1) but is very thin. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't disappear in my hand as it has a wide grip, but it is thin which makes concealed carry much easier. Over the last several years most of the majors have introduced thin carry guns in 9mm. In my opinion it is a trade-off: less capacity and power than bigger .40s, more power than 380s while only slightly larger. The PPS is available in .40 - I haven't shot one but heard they are pretty poppy - and most gun stores I go into have 3 or 4 used ones but curiously no 9's . . .

IMO the main thing is to have it with you and be able to get it into action quickly and effectively - the most powerful pistol you can do that with is your ideal carry gun.
One of the youngins got sick so we took her to the Doctors office and I carried the 40 with me it has a 4 and 1/4 inch barrel . I carry inside the waste band . It is a little uncomfortable while sitting down but is okay while walking and standing. I may decide to get a new outside the waste band holster.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
One of the youngins got sick so we took her to the Doctors office and I carried the 40 with me it has a 4 and 1/4 inch barrel . I carry inside the waste band . It is a little uncomfortable while sitting down but is okay while walking and standing. I may decide to get a new outside the waste band holster.
No doubt in my mind the .40 is a superior cartridge. If I wasn't such a wuss I would still carry mine! If you find you have the same issue, it can always be viewed as a reason to get another gun. Not that you need a reason . . .

Always like when the good guys are packin'

Hope your little one is OK.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
No doubt in my mind the .40 is a superior cartridge. If I wasn't such a wuss I would still carry mine! If you find you have the same issue, it can always be viewed as a reason to get another gun. Not that you need a reason . . .

Always like when the good guys are packin'

Hope your little one is OK.

Thank you sir for your concern she is doing much better .
Have a good evening.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Either an M&P Shield in 9MM or a 642, depending on where I'm going.