Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

what gun is this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 AM

what gun is this?

ok I just got this gun and all I know is that it is a 378 weatherby,I can find no markings on it not even a serial number is it under the stock? anything anyone can tell me about this gun would be helpfull.thanks guys. my gun foto page.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Re: what gun is this?

Not a weatherby expert by any means but I will give you my thoughts since no one else is. I would guess it's a pre-64 or 65. The only action that Roy Weatherby ever made for himself was the Mark V (still built in US but the Vangaurd is a HOWA action out of Japan). Maybe someone who owns one can give you some opinions.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

My all time favorite action, congradulations you have a commercial FN action on your rifle and it looks like someone tried to copy (and did a good job)of what is known as the California style stock, (aka Weatherby)Be warned this style stock with that ctg. has been known to kill on both ends! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The serial number will be found on the bottom of the action at the rear of the recoil lug, once in a great while they were stamped on the side of the reciever rail.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Well looked in both spots for a SN but no luck ,as fa as the stock goes is this not a weatherby? was told it was "custom" did weathery make custom rifles?
thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Looks like a MarkX by Interarms with a custom stock.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

a MASSIVE RECOIL rifle "378" worse recoil a ever felt was from the mighty 378 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. What does that thing weigh?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Bronze Member

I'm also no Weatherby expert, but I can say that this does appear to be either a commercial FN mauser or a licensed copy. My Dad tells me that Roy Mauser started with FN Mauser actions before designing and building his own. I suspect you have an early rifle. If you could post more pics of the bolt out of the gun and perhaps the whole action I could maybe do a bit more research on it.