Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What ever happened to Western count on Whitetails?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Bronze Member

What ever happened to Western count on Whitetails?

My nephew got a nice whitetail this year in Idaho and brought it by to show me the rack which he called a 5 point. I pointed out to him that what he had was a very nice 4 point western count as the eye guards/brow tines are not counted in a true western count. I even pointed out a passage in a book by Jack O'Connor that pointed out the difference between Eastern and Western count but he still didn't buy it. Also, he didn't have a clue as to who Jack O'Connor was either.

Then out of curiousity I polled some hunters here where I work(also in Idaho) and again each was wrong in his tally and wanted to halve the Eastern count. Where was the understanding of Western count lost? Is it a case of "Buckmaster syndrome"?
Pat S.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: What ever happened to Western count on Whitetails?

Still alive and well here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 AM
SPONSOR

Why would you want to cheat the deer if it has browtines? I've never understood the western count. Why not just say "10 point?"
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Pat S.

I think it all depends on how you were raised counting points. Personally, being from Montana, I would say 90% of the whitetail hunters up here count all the points on one side including the eyeguards so counting the eyeguards that buck would be a 5x5 up here.

With whitetails, the eyeguards are often a very substantial part of the overall trophy quality of a buck. You can easily gain 15" of score on eye guards alone.

As such, why would you not count anything that would contribute to such a degree to the trophy quality of the animal.

If we were talking mule deer I could understand as eyeguards are generally insignificant on mule deer. A huge set of eye guards on a muly will be about 2 to 3" in lenght. This is nothing for a quality whitetail which will generally push 7-8 inches and often up to 10" in length.

Just another side note and not meaning this in any disrespectful way, but just because a gunwriter says something does not mean its written in stone, or even correct for that matter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Everyone has their way of doing things, to say one way is the correct way and all others is wrong is a pretty bold statement in my book.

Again, its just what people grow up using and what they are used to.

Personally, if a tine is a scorable tine(+1" on the B&C system), I count it in my count as do most Montana hunters in my area of central Montana.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Wouldn't the deer in question be a 25 point Eastern count? 5x5=25 right?
And if not exactly symetric i.e. both sides don't score within an eighth of an inch of each other, it would be considered nontypical.

(jab) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've never heard of the eye guards on a white tail not being counted. Mule deer I've always counted western style I guess with just counting forks and fliers. Unless its a big non typical then they are normally counted with everyone I hunt with in centrall Idaho.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, those two point whitetails make a real impressive mount. Especially the Texas variety, kicks sand on a (two) spike mulie. Personally, they can kill them all off and give the range back to our mule deer, if I had a choice. Let's put an end to whitetail polution.

Western count rules!

Good hunting. LB