Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What do you guy use when shooting for rear support. of the rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

What do you guy use when shooting for rear support. of the rifle.

When i shoot from a bench i use a sand bag. heavy but best groups all the time. In the field i use my hand to adjust the rear of the rifle. most of the time groups are just as good but i do get the flyer caused by me. more when i have coffee a few hours before. This has worked for me for a while. I would like to know what you guys do so i might be able to get a little better and to learn.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you guy use when shooting for rear support. of the rifle.

If my wife is not looking I will grab three or four of her beanie bag babies. I especially like the raccoon one and the bear. Only problem is if you get caught with them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

I have shot off a backpack that worked pretty good... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

i was thinking of trying to make a bag with some thing lighter than sand like beans. but didnt know how well that would work.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

I use bags filled with beanie baby beads. Bags are whatever size looks good as I snoop around the camping area of sporting goods stores and other places.

One of my better ones is a zipper pouch that Delta Airlines provides when they stick you in the terminal over night.

I hook them on a belt loop and go huntin. I use the same thing off of the bench also.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Try to get ahold of some small plastic beads, they are light as crap and won't leak out of the sandbags too bad. This way you can take your rear bag afield with you if you carry a backpack or something similar, other wise you might try getting an Accu-Shot monopod.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

I picked up a container of the plastic air rifle pellets at wally-mart. I stuffed them into a nylon rear bag, very light and rot-proff.