Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What did it for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

What did it for you?

I am wondering what event got you guys into Long Range? And what is your ultimate Long Range goal? For me it was meeting a guy at a range in Rawlins that shoots benchrest 1000 yard matches and getting to shoot his little AR 223 at 1000 yards. ever since then I have been hooked.
My Goal is I want to kill an elk at 1000+ with my 338 and id like to shoot a mile. I need a different set up before I can do that because I found out that I dont have the adjustment range I thought I had and have only been able to shoot steel at 1700 yards.. So I am still 60 yards short of that goal...

SO what about you guys?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What did it for you?

I have been reloading for over 30 years and liked tinkering with loads to get the best preformance out of my rifles. I don't shoot competition and my reloading is all for hunting (whatever is availablle that I can afford to hunt).
My longest shot is a cow elk at 640 yards with a 300 Weatherby. Then this site found me while looking for more info on reloading for my 25-06. I saw I was just a novice in long range hunting as I see a lot of better shooters than me shooting at a 1000 yards. Now I am working my way up to that mark not a mile yet. Starting into Long Range at 62 years Young. My next goal is an Elk, Deer or Antelope at 1000 yards.

Last edited by WyoElk2Hunt; 07-14-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I had been shooting and hunting for over 40 years. I got inspired several years ago by reading a biography on Carlos Hathcock, the Viet Nam era sniper. Finding myself getting a little bored with the more traditional approaches , I decided to try and apply some of the same skills and tactics to hunt game at long range. Quickly found that there was a whole shooting subculture dedicated to long range shooting and hunting. I joined in and have been hooked ever since.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

thats really neat keep them coming i like hearing these stories

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

Several years ago i was antelope hunting with a good friend of mine. I thought myself a fairly competent shooter, but was outgunned that day. My buddy and i spotted the biggest antelope buck id ever seen. We spent 3 hours stocking to the only vantage point anywhere near the buck. I ranged the antelope at 690 yards and about cried! I had practiced with my .257 weatherby/ vx III combo a ton and new 500 yards to be the limit of my equipment. My buddy had me range the buck about ten times while he pulled a rear bag and dope book out of his pack. he dialed in his nightforce, and squeezed off a round. The antelope flopped over like it had been shot at ten feet... My buddy got to spend 500$ getting that buck mounted. I got to spend a ton more getting myself up to speed! Since then i have spent allot of time trying to get to hone my skills to match my equipment.

As far as an ultimate long range hunting goal id like to have a 1 shot kill at 1500 yards.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Well, it started for me when i took my m700 300rum to a local smith because i wanted a muzzle break installed. He is an avid 600yard benchrest competitor and builds br rifles. The more i spoke with him the more i convinced myself i wanted to be able to shoot that far. So as soon as my rifle was ready to go with a muzzle break and new stock, i took it out to the local range, applied some knowledge i learned here and from my gunsmith and wham! smacked steel @550yards on my 3rd shot. Its been all downhill from there, lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

I blame those dang prairie dogs....They keep getting farther away the more you shoot