Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What can you hit on demand???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: What can you hit on demand???

Speedbump said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Anybody wanna go double or nothin' from a sling only instead of a bipod?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Against you! Do I look like I just fell off a turnip wagon? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If I hit the 12" target with the first round at 800 yards will I earn the $1000.00? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I belive I could hit a 12" target at 700 yards from a cold bore. PROVIDED it was not -10 out there. I am 100% sure I can hit that at 800 yards 90+% of the time on a first round.

In a situation with 10 MPH winds or under with a bi-pod, and my day pack under the rear, using my most trusted rifle and load, I would attemt that with $1000 USD on the line. I am not trying to be arrogant or cocky here. I spend a great deal of my time doing just that. Often times I go out with a 10" target, set up at 300 yards and fire once. Set up at 400 yards and fire once. all the way out to 1K. When I can no longer hit my 10" target, thats where I draw the line for my big game hunting range. I am not talking about my test loads or experamental stuff. I do alot of that and dont always hit the mark. I am talking about my best and most trusted load.

The rifle in question is a 13# 308 w/24" tube and 11.25 of twist. Scope is a mark4 10X. I know this rifle better than my own dear wife.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Brent must be feeling poor, I know he can do better than 500 yards on a 12" target. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Well I guess I'll chime in now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .I have made a number of first round hits on ground hogs out to 850 yards from a tripod.So I think 750 with a bi-pod and rear bag should be doable [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Bi-Pod gun is a 28" barreled 11 twist 300wsm(My 16.5 pound Match in a Sendero stock shooting 210gr Jlk's 2812fps.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

500 is a gurantee, no if and or but about it. Poor... It shows, eh! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

I guess standing up on your hind legs isn't an option then? Oh well...first I have to buy a bipod to qualify. W/O that and prone, no rest, 300 yds or so. It's only a Bob, 85 Ballistic Tips. Now if you want to drop the wages of sin a bit I might try to stretch that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Ben times a guy would be better off payin the$1000 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].If I could find prairie dogs that where 12" round I'd have a better idea(not much for paper)That and they usualy will give you a second shot(1st shot is usualy a spotter)
Gona have to work on 1st shot hits this year instead of pullin the trigger cause I dobt I could go past 400 with the first shot [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]