Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What can you hit on demand???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: What can you hit on demand???

Speedbump said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Anybody wanna go double or nothin' from a sling only instead of a bipod?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Against you! Do I look like I just fell off a turnip wagon? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If I hit the 12" target with the first round at 800 yards will I earn the $1000.00? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I belive I could hit a 12" target at 700 yards from a cold bore. PROVIDED it was not -10 out there. I am 100% sure I can hit that at 800 yards 90+% of the time on a first round.

In a situation with 10 MPH winds or under with a bi-pod, and my day pack under the rear, using my most trusted rifle and load, I would attemt that with $1000 USD on the line. I am not trying to be arrogant or cocky here. I spend a great deal of my time doing just that. Often times I go out with a 10" target, set up at 300 yards and fire once. Set up at 400 yards and fire once. all the way out to 1K. When I can no longer hit my 10" target, thats where I draw the line for my big game hunting range. I am not talking about my test loads or experamental stuff. I do alot of that and dont always hit the mark. I am talking about my best and most trusted load.

The rifle in question is a 13# 308 w/24" tube and 11.25 of twist. Scope is a mark4 10X. I know this rifle better than my own dear wife.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Brent must be feeling poor, I know he can do better than 500 yards on a 12" target. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Well I guess I'll chime in now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .I have made a number of first round hits on ground hogs out to 850 yards from a tripod.So I think 750 with a bi-pod and rear bag should be doable [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Bi-Pod gun is a 28" barreled 11 twist 300wsm(My 16.5 pound Match in a Sendero stock shooting 210gr Jlk's 2812fps.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

500 is a gurantee, no if and or but about it. Poor... It shows, eh! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

I guess standing up on your hind legs isn't an option then? Oh well...first I have to buy a bipod to qualify. W/O that and prone, no rest, 300 yds or so. It's only a Bob, 85 Ballistic Tips. Now if you want to drop the wages of sin a bit I might try to stretch that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Ben times a guy would be better off payin the$1000 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].If I could find prairie dogs that where 12" round I'd have a better idea(not much for paper)That and they usualy will give you a second shot(1st shot is usualy a spotter)
Gona have to work on 1st shot hits this year instead of pullin the trigger cause I dobt I could go past 400 with the first shot [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]