Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What can you hit on demand???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Bronze Member

What can you hit on demand???

I would like to ask what different people on this board consider the max range is that they can hit a target of a certain size with the first shot out of a cold barrel and under field conditions. Just for fun let's pretend you have to pay some charity of your choice $1000 for a miss.

Conditions:
1.Bipod & rear bag of some sort
2.5-10 mph cross wind in open terrain
3.5 minutes to setup shot
4.Shooter in rested condition
5.Rifle must be carryable (is that a word??)

Target is a 12" circle

Please include a short description of the rifle you would choose and include it's weight.

Thanks and remember this is just for fun and is not any kind of challenge.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: What can you hit on demand???

John,

Since 1k is on the line id go no farther than 400, my rifle is a savage 12bvss in 308win,weighing 12.5lbs, i would be shooting 125gr nosler bt.
Good Shootin,
Brian
Old 02-29-2004, 05:28 PM
*WyoWhisper*

John,

Yeah, this storm ruined my weekend... I might be free next weekend though...

I love topics like this!! We will be doing some of this stuff the 2nd weekend in Aug. when the guys from the board get here... except it will be for dirtly jobs like washing Dave's wifes SUV before we get back to the ranch.

OK so we have a charitable $1000 on the line.. yikes...

hmmm 12" field conditions... I feel really confident to 650-750 yards with a 12" target.

A5 308 or the A5 300 WSM, shooting the 175 SMK at 2725 fps and 3115 fps respectivly. The 308 weighs 15 lbs and the 300WSM weights about 14.5 lbs.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

As I have no swivels in my match guns, I'll say we switch the Bi-pod for a front rest of whatever sort. A sand bag laying on a stump or something like that.

I rarely have a zero on my guns, but, assuming the gun was anywhere near zero at 100, and also assuming I'm not at an altitude that is grossly different from where I live (500-1800 ft), I'll say 650 yards. After that, I'm not payin the 1K.

The gun: A 30 cal. 210 bullet at 2850. 16.5#

Did it this year in hunting season. Only had 1 round loaded for the gun. Shot off a windowsill while sitting. Deer ran 0 feet. 452 yds. In probably a 20+ mph crosswind. Held 15" in front of the deer standing broadside, shot it right in the heart.

There was however, no $1000 to pay if I missed! Not that it would have changed anything.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

This is exactly what Iīve been practising , usually in field conditions. One shot groups just for Moose. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can do 400 meters at the moment when the wind is known. Sako TRG-S 338 LM, factory brake, 300 grain MK @ 2630 ,Harris bipod, Optilock mounts,Tasco Mag IV 5-20x50 (yep,it is an airgun scope but hasnīt broken in 370 shots, the clicks work and zero stays correct feel free to laugh). I`m zeroed at 300 meters and adjust from there, trajectory has been confirmed up to 650 meters.

Cold,fouled barrel,one shot. I shot one moose last season at 300+ in a cold,heavy rainfall with this setup -except I used a Scenar. A long crawl,I got as close as possible.

If I canīt hit an A4 (including the distance estimation which often is the hard thing) with the first shot every time,itīs too long for moose then. Keeps me practising these one shot groups lol. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

This rifle doesnīt group very good -yet. Will be fixed and luckily the first bullet is always where itīs supposed to be. Thatīs all I need, no real long range, neither nothing to boast about the groups but good for filling the freezer. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Very good thread,thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

1000 Bucks Yikes!!!
Count me out.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

I would put money on 450. Thats with my TRG-S in 7STW. I think it weighs just over 10lbs. Thats with the 140's, After some testing and practicing with the 120's I might raise that to 600.