Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

What age to start out younguns??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

What age to start out younguns??

Hey guys,
I just got my five year old boy a ruger 10/22 for shooting the other day. My wife is going nuts because she thinks that he is too young. I just can't wait for him to get started and my grandpa is already building deer stands for the two of them. What my wife don't know is that I'm already starting on 308 "downloads" for him. What do you guys think?
Brandon
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What age to start out younguns??

IMO it is never too early to begin instruction and supervised shooting. I have two boys and both began with open site 22's at about the same age as your lad. They are now 9 and 10 years old and are getting along well with their P22's, 10/22's and youth 870 scatterguns. It has been an absolute joy to watch them progress with their safety and shooting skills.

Good shooting!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

I started shooting about age 5 as did my son. We have a ritual in that the first gun is a BB gun (quality model). ALL shooting is first under instruction and indoors into a box of rags (BB recovery system). Once the shooter can shoot one BB hole and then shoot that same BB hole with the next shot (consistently) the gun can be taken outside. Again there is supervised instruction and then free run. There are also the rules that go with any dangerous equipment and gun safety rules. The kicker in this system is that the shooter is known accurate and the gun known precise. ANYTHING shot was pretty much the intended target... Holes out of place are cause for loss of the gun.... There are no accidental holes.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Guys,
I agree with both of you. I have been preaching safety with him for a long time now. That is the most important thing that I can stress to him. Here is a picture of him resting his new 10/22 on my ol' Chevy K5 hunting rig.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Dave. Ritualized shooting mechanics in the garage or other area that does not cause panic with the neighbors with a high quality BB gun and ritualized safety instructions and percautions. Unless you live out where the kids can shoot a 22 every day with supervision then the BB gun with a BB trap in the garage is good. Safety goggles - not glasses- mandatory. No shooting the neighbors cats.

The trap I built was a sand box with a 45 degree angle back to deflect the BB down into the sand. I then hung an old towel over the front and the target was in front of that. A BB had to get through the target, the towel and then was bounced into the sand. Almost no BBs ever made it through the towel, into the trap
Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

It would depend upon the maturity of the individual as to what age to start them shooting I have seen 8yr olds that are safe enough to hunt by themselves and on the other hand I have a neighbor that is an adult that scares me to death!In any event you don't start too soon teaching gun safety now at what age you can turn them aloose can differ greatly... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

I agree with how it depends on the individual. My kids (11 & 15) have done very well with their guns, but my nephew that is 12 yrs old scares the crap outta me. I think its got alot to do with how they are raised. We have never had "toy" guns in our house, not even a squirt gun, and the kids have been around them from day one and seem to have a great respect for them. my nephew likes to grab his gun and play like he's shooting somthing "Bang" "Bang" Well last time he did that I took it away from him and he didnt get to shoot with us that day.
Personally I started with the old BB guns at about 5 yrs old. then at 6 or 7 I got an old Stevens model 58A 410 that I still have today. I had to stay with Dad when shooting it of coarse but it was quite fun blasting gophers in the tater feilds when I was young.