Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Well it isn't hunting but it was fun....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Well it isn\'t hunting but it was fun....

The wife and I got a chance to pursue our other hobby this past weekend. It was a short trip but fun none the less. We headed to High Island, Saturday morning to meet up with a couple of my co-workers. After arriving we visited some then set up the rods. It didn't take long till things were clicking away pretty well. We ended up with 3 nice black tips and a couple of decent redfish. Here is a pic or two of them,
Co-workers first bull redfish,

The last blacktip of the day and the biggest of the three,

The wife in on the action wrangling her own bull red,

and the results,

Wished we had been there from sun up but we had a few things to get done before we could go. Still we did pretty good for only about 5 hours. Most of the fish were in the first hour and a half.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Well it isn\'t hunting but it was fun....

Well it is twenty to six my time and all I got to eat for dinner is chicken. I must not be living right. I could sure handle a nice big fillet of redfish.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

Looks like fun Mike,

I went down to Port Aransas a couple of years ago and saw quite a bit of fish in the shallow water. How far out do you have to cast???

congrats again
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Being the Northwest's #1 Blackened Redfish chef, the ole' mouth is a waterin'.

We usually have to settle for Salmon steak which by the way when blackened properly ain't to shabby.

BB, I'll betcha you're one of those people who would go to Commander's Palace in New Orleans and order chicken. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Well, all I can say is I had chicken for supper as well. LOL

The fish were all released to fight another day. Hopefully they will be bigger next time round.

As for the distance out, well I was hauling the baits out with the kayak about 200 - 300 yds and dropping them. The weights I was using prohibit casting with the rigs I had out. However, there are a LOT of times when we do indeed cast out to them and it isn't generally all that far. With a decent cast I, and most of the folks we fish with can easily hit around 75yds with a decent bait. A few of them can hit further. It takes specialized gear and lots of practice just like LRH does.

I also competed in a few casting tourneys for distance and my recorded best is just over 600' with a 150 gram weight. A few of my buds can hit the mid to high 800' areas.

We generally release all sharks, and most redfish over 30". The better ones are from 20 - 30" anyway. Not as much head or blood line to cut around. Once they get over 30, it seems that their head grows in lenght as well and you get about the same lenght fillet only somewhat thicker.

Roy, I would probaly order a T-bone or Rib Eye instead. LOL But your all right, the blackend fillets are great. We have tried several different species and all were just as tasty.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would probaly order a T-bone or Rib Eye instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do those also, and pork chops too, if I can get them cut thick enough. Wonder what one of those Tx hogs would blacken?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
BB, I'll betcha you're one of those people who would go to Commander's Palace in New Orleans and order chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

As best I can determine the people in Nawlins always get the grease too hot and burn the fish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]