Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Weatherby Talley scope rings what do you think of them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Weatherby Talley scope rings what do you think of them?

I just bought a Weatherby mark-v accumark 338-378 and a swarovski scope PV 6-24x50 and talley mounts and rings went and shot 20 rounds throw the gun and the scope moved about a 1/8 inch forward so I took the gun up stair to the gun smith and he ask me who mounted the scope and I told him sporting goods place I got it done at it turned out that one screw was striped and the other was a half turn lose he told me talley rings are not than good or the ones I had because only one screw on top and one on the bottom it didn't hold the scope well.He told me to put leupold mounts and rings on it.What doe's eveyone else think I should do?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Talley scope rings what do you think of them?

Thor,

The ones he's referring to are the QD mounts. They have two screws on the top. You can get these two different ways. Ones with lever locks or with screw lock. I've used the ones with screw locks and couldn't be happier with them. Although a certain smith here told me they are a pain to lap.

This is no excuse for a sloppy install. I would at least give the sporting goods place a chance to make it right.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

When you get sick of dealing with monts and rings not working great with this relatively heavy recoiler and a heavy scope, call Richard at Near Manufacturing and get set up with one of his bases and a set of his rings. I went that way on my lightweight 300 Wby and it is by far the best solution I have come across. Absolutely rock solid and looks good to boot. They are not cheap but you have some money into that gun and scope and it's worth mating them up properly.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 PM

How can I get a hold of Richard at Near manufacturing any body have a phone number or any thing?Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

www.nearmfg.com