Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Weatherby Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby Mark V

I have a line on a used Weatherby Mark V in 338 Win Mag. Since I have never worked with a Weatherby, what do I look for to make sure I am not getting stuck? Are these guns normally accurate? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weatherby Mark V

I have a .300 WBY on a WBY MK V action and these guns are not normally the most accurate guns around but mine shoots OK. I personally would buy a Remington Sendero or something of that nature over a WBY but that is jusy my opinion.

For that price it is hard to justify buying a less accurate gun.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Are you sure it is a 338 Winchester magnum in a Mark V.

Could it be a 340Wby or a 338 Wby instead?

Chief thing to do is to take it to a gunsmith and have it borescoped to check the throat before buying it. In any of the calibers it is possible to burn the throat out quickly but with the 338Wby mag it could probably be done with one box of shells if the person let it get real hot.

Borescoping cost about $40 and if the person will not agree then don't buy it.

One common problem with large capapcity cases is there is a lot of powder bieng burned and it will build up and if a person doesn't clean out the throat then the gun will not shoot and they will try to sell it cheap. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a great shooting gun that just has a dirty barrel.

I think Kirby once ventured a guess on the number of guns that just needed cleaning and I think Speedy Gonzales has an estimate on his website, so it is very common. Burned throat on Wby barrels has to be common also. Borescope it to be sure what you are buying.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

A 338 Win mag is a popular caliber and is not known to be rough on barrels. A Mark 5 is an excellent piece and is known for it's strength and guaranteed accuracy no matter who the owner is or how old it is. Remington has no such assurance. The Mark 5 trigger is second to none for an out of the box trigger. All of my Mark 5's shoot sub 1" groups and the triggers were easy to adjust to under 1 1/2 pounds as they come. To go less than a pound a different spring is in order. Which model rifle is it in?

Unless you overpay for it by a large amount you can rest assured you will never be stuck with it. Weatherby Mark 5's always have excellent resale value. With a broken stock and a bent barrel I would give you $400 for it. Even at that price I would be ripping you off.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

I thought the MKV line was all Weatherby calibers, not std .
I 've got a broke weatherby stock thats missing the action and bbl....how much can I get for that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2006, 05:36 PM

I have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 Win Mag so I know they do other cartridges besides only Weatherby's. Mine will shoot sub moa when I do my part.
Wayne aka WAMBO
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Which stock? Can you post pictures and tell us how it was broken. I might be interested in it.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.