Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Warning !!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Warning !!!!

I was lucky enough to get a break in the weather and make a trip to the range to do some
testing and break in on a couple of rifles.

Normally I just buy a box of ammo and do the break in and test .

The problem is kind of scary if you think about it.

IN the "NEW" box of ammo there was a surprise, Two different bullet weights.

The ammo was 300 RUM and I found(After noticing different recoil) 8- 180 grain bullets
and 12- 200 grain bullets. I couldn't imagine Remington doing that and tried to figure
out how it happened.

It dawned on me that someone had swapped some 200s for some 180s so they only had to
buy 1 box and they could find out which bullet worked best in there rifle.

This ammo was not secured behind glass or the counter and with different ammo on the
shelf side by side it would be easy to switch ammo around.

The bullets were the same type and looked identical.

Most ammo is not taped and should be so you could tell if it has been tampered with.

The possibilities of even swapping brands is there, and if the idiot was not paying attention
he could swap different calibers (NOT GOOD). and some are close enough that you might
have a serious problem.

The point to this is don't buy ammo that has been unsecured or opened without looking
it over REAL GOOD.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Re: Warning !!!!

WOW!!!never even thought about that....thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Bronze Member

Yes thanks
I reload for both 300 RUM and 338 RUM and I'm real careful but never thought about "factory ammo"

Last edited by conn338rum; 02-16-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Sort of the same thing happened to a friend of mine while hunting deer. Bought a box of Core Lokt 30'06 that had apparently been opened and had a few 7x57 mauser shells swapped out! He thought his gun had jammed, but realized that he had accidentally loaded the 7x57 shells in his gun without looking. Kinda validates all of the "please don't open ammo boxes" signs that I see on shelves now. Whether they were swapped accidentally while comparing the two cartridges, or maliciously, no one will ever really know, but it's a great reminder to pay attention to what you're putting in your gun!

Glad you learned this lesson without something catastrophic happening!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Last year I picked up a box of Hornady 500gn .458s made it home to find Winchester ammo in the box, right caliber wrong brand, think ammo was switched to save money- the Winchester was cheaper.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Thats really sad to hear.

Those Azz^oles keep doing crap like that and somebody is gonna get seriously hurt.

Not to mention the extra cost we'll all pay at the store due to extra security, locked cabinets, extra personel to watch over you and "give you" the ammo if ya wanna look at it, ect, ect.

Someone will get hurt and sue the ammo company, then they'll have to raise prices too.

Funny (not literally) how just a little dishonesty can screw up an entire system.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

SBruce,

Already has. The full wrap-around labels used on many bullet boxes today are a direct result of such in-store tampering. My former employer used to seal their cardboard boxes with two little strips of tape. After a lawsuit involving a guy who claimed to have gotten some 7mm bullets in a box of .277"s, some research was launched into the problem. Ultimately we found that most such cases were the result of in-store tampering. Curious customers wanting to check them out and inadvertantly mixing the contents. Or, more malicious individuals deliberately mixing them, or stealing some "samples" to try, that sort of thing. The lawsuit cost some serious money, as did the inevitable returns and replacement of "short" boxes (those with less than 100 bullets per box as advertised). The soplution was to develop a tamper proof packaging, which is where the full wrap around labels came from. The two little strips of tape could be opened and resealed with little or no evidence. The new style can't. If they've been opened, you can tell, no doubt about it. Virtually all the major bullet manufacturers are using this style now, and that''s precisely why.