Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Want to reopen the national forest roads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Want to reopen the national forest roads?

For those of you who hunt in the national forest of the west, Congressman Greg Walden, (R-OR-2nd district) has written H.R. 4272 a bill that requires the forest service to reopen all the roads in the national forest of the west.

The forest service must then submit to the counties that the national forest sets in what roads and why they should be closed. It is then up to the county to decide if the road should be closed or not.

If you are interested in this you need to contact your senator or congress person and ask them to sign on to the bill. There isn't any reason the bill can't be amended to include blm land as well.

For those of you in the midwest and back east, most of the national forests of the west have 50-90% of the roads locked, gated closed or in some way blocked.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Want to reopen the national forest roads?

Doug LaMalfa is my rep. I'll send him an email Monday expressing my desire.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

No.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
No.
Why?

5 Acres on the east side of the Coburg hills in Oregon.

I have Two Dogs, but my 10mm is for protection
Old 04-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs10mm View Post
Why?
I didn't post but I bet I can answer. It opens up the opportunity for road hunters and the like. Makes it harder on the guys that are willing to work a little to get to good areas. JMO

Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealtered View Post
For those of you who hunt in the national forest of the west, Congressman Greg Walden, (R-OR-2nd district) has written H.R. 4272 a bill that requires the forest service to reopen all the roads in the national forest of the west.

The forest service must then submit to the counties that the national forest sets in what roads and why they should be closed. It is then up to the county to decide if the road should be closed or not.

If you are interested in this you need to contact your senator or congress person and ask them to sign on to the bill. There isn't any reason the bill can't be amended to include blm land as well.

For those of you in the midwest and back east, most of the national forests of the west have 50-90% of the roads locked, gated closed or in some way blocked.
I'm all for road closures! I certainly don't want the last word left up to some bureaucrat down at the county office as to whether a gate is open or closed. If for some reason a gate is to be open the decision should be left to the areas Fish and Game biology dept.

Gates are usually put in place for a reason but certain times of the year some gates can certainly be opened. For an example a gate that closes a road that makes its way through traditional elk calving areas should be closed late winter till midsummer but could be open during hunting season depending on other access. Only knowledgeable people should be making those decisions.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

The problem is people in the know and are not making decisions based on anything like mentioned above. The Park Service is closing the roads because it easier for them to not patrol them. It has nothing to do with game management. It's basically shutting a large portion of the public from accessing lands that been accessible since man created routes in. They don't any signs of human activity in the areas that are wild.

Close it for periods of time? Like during a rainy season when the roads get destroyed by vehicles? Or during calving season or something else? Maybe. In areas where that is a concern there are already gates up. Been like that since I was a kid. During large storms the gates get closed and when the roads are cleared up, they get opened.

In CA, most of the roads where Elk breed and calf are already on private property, and the roads there are gated. Vehicle traffic where those animals and deer are raising their young have no impact. They are rarely traveled. If animals calf in the front yards of peoples homes I can't see a few cars driving up and down the road making any difference.