Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Want to fill a BDL mag slot in stock - correctly this time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Want to fill a BDL mag slot in stock - correctly this time.

First attempt was to fill the bottome metal and mag slot with Bondo type stuff. I noticed that it cracked in a couple of places after curing. (I was warned of that)

After about 25 shots there is a crack all the way around adn the finish is chipped all the way around but the finish is no biggie.

I figure a few more shots and it will fall out.

The whole idea was to stiffen the stock.

Any advice other than a new/different ADL stock. I have way too much work into this one already and really like the way it shaped up and feels to give up now.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Want to fill a BDL mag slot in stock - correctly this time.

Roy , when I buy my JB Weld I get the big 4 oz industrial tubes for about $10 , maybe get a couple of those and fill that rascle up.
I did the same thing your trying but filled the whole mag well , I cut a big chunk of aluminum and glued it in their with epoxy.
As for your situation maybe you could just fill a small area like what the BDL metal would take up then add a coat of fiberglass on the out side and sand it to blend it.
As for the glue , I would us a 1500 psi epoxy like the 5 min stuff , it seems to not get glass hard like the 2500 and 3500 psi stuff more like a hard plastic. Or the Brownells Glas-Bed stuff works pretty well and is a good adheasive also. I have been using a two part epoxt called Hysol and it is some great stuff.

By the way your box showed up today , thanks a bunch
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

JDJones,

Hey, the USPS done good!

Here's what I think I'm seeing.

I filled the mag well and all areas used by the BDL bottom metal with this autobody stuff that uses 12 drops of hardner per oz of stuff. It shrunk long ways leaving an 1/8" opening across the front. Plus another crocked cross crack about 1/2 way back.

What appears to be happening is that the sides of the stock at the mag well are flexing outward. This never would have been noticed with a normal hardware mounting system.

What I think I'm going to do, after some serious discussion with Mungus Beck, who has more experience and ideas than I do, is to cut a block of aluminum or wood to almost fill the well. Devcon or Marine Tex or Accra Glass it in, then put a couple of reinforcing pins/screws through it.

Then if it pans out (read shoots super) and I feel I need a 338 super boomer I'll restock it next year with a decent one.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Best way I have found was to fit a piece of hard wood to fit into the mag box relief with about 1/8" around all sides of it.

Out a layer of marine tex in the bottom, set the hard wood block in, fill around the block with marine tex, and top off with marine tex.

I generally do this while bedding the rifle so the finished bedding is seamless when finished pretty much.

Using hard wood is a must. soft wood like pine will work but not nearly as dense. The wood just helps prevent any cracking which may result from a very large amount of bedding compound in one area.

Its also alot cheaper then 14 oz of marine tex!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Roy , are you trying to fill the whole mag well as to make the gun a single shot or just fill the area that the BDL bottom metal filled up that you have replaced with an ADL unit?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Am filling ALL of the area that the metal I sent you would have filled. Mag well, bottom metal, everything but the bolt holes.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Roy , I have access to alot of aluminum and steel at work if you want I'll take some measurments and cut some and send you way if you want.