Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Walking POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Silver Member
Re: Walking POI

My 1KBR gun started doing that to me later this year. Or should I say I started doing that to my groups this year, 1000yd. shots one and two 2 inches apart drop low and left 6 inches shots 3,4,5,6,7 in 4 inch clump drop low and left another 6 inches shots 8,9,10 three inch clump.

First couple of times it was mixed in with some switching winds so I couldn't determine the pattern. Match before last it did as above, last match same pattern but worse.

Couple of things I started doing earlier this year. Freefloated entire 30" barrel and started shooting one hand. These two things did shrink my groups some. Also started cranking them down there even a little faster.

I asked for some advice from one of the long time regulars of the club. I asked about the bedding, load, gun, heat, barrel, etc just as everbody here is picking apart. The rifle does less than 2 inches at my practice 500 on my homemade portable bench. I get some horizontal (I practice across a flat riverbottom) but very seldom ever get vertical. Countless times, after a match, my lesser rifles have shot better groups than my regular gun.

After listening to my prejudged theories and "Is it this?", "Is it thats?" he simply said...What are you doing different after the first two shots?

So I thought a second and said.
Well after the second shot I generally have to squeeze the back bag to get back on target (quickly in my self imposed hurry)......

He asked: You ever squeeze the rear bag any other time? I said no. He said: Always do things "THE SAME" no matter what that is.

My advice is a retransmitted....Always do things "THE SAME" no matter what that is.

Good Luck!