Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Waiting For Background Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

Waiting For Background Check

I am in the process of buying a new rifle, this is the first gun store purchase I have made since the background checks went into effect.

But here in Ohio we are not supposed to have a waiting period for a rifle but the background check is taking 6 days. The fed told the gun store clerk to release the rifle in 6 days, if they didn't call back. That is unacceptable!

Has anyone else had to wait-out this non-waiting period?

Is it that they still don't have the bugs out of the system or is this a not so slick way of applying a waiting period?

If I somehow lose the $200 I put down on the rifle, from governmental error; I am going to be angrier than Marvin the Martian!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: Waiting For Background Check

Here in Illinois we do have a 24 hour wait on long guns. However, typically, they have the OK on th background check before you leave the store! Assuming we are all working off the same system, your 6 day wait doesn't make any sense. Last gun I bought was about a month ago with no issues.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Last rifle i purchased at the Cabela's Hamburg Pa. store took three hours from purchase to walking out of the store with said rifle.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Go to the extra effort and expense and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then the background check is already completed and at least in Idaho/Utah/etc the transfer is immediate.

Besides every one should have a conceal and carry permit, regardless.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Go to the extra effort and expense and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then the background check is already completed and at least in Idaho/Utah/etc the transfer is immediate.

Besides every one should have a conceal and carry permit, regardless.
10-4 on that....just wish my Utah CC permit meant something here at home in Illinois!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

I thought the background check was a Federal thing that should be similar in all states. I realize that States may also get into the act and may complicate the process. 6 days is too long.

I purchased my last rifle about a month ago. The background check phone call took less time than it took me to fill out the 4473 form.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

You should not have anything to worry about regarding your $200 - if for some reason you are denied they should give you a full refund.
Yes the NICS check can take up to 6 days - it is less than a perfect system. Most normally go thru right away. Every once in a while a flag goes up - that may or may not have anything to do with you. Normally its not - if you have a common first and last name that alone can cause a delay - not always but sometimes. Most often you will hear back well ahead of the six days. I have had customers no sooner walk out of the store and we get a call from NICS saying its ok to go. In the event that you are denied the shop you are working with will provide you with a number to call.