close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Waiting For Background Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

Waiting For Background Check

I am in the process of buying a new rifle, this is the first gun store purchase I have made since the background checks went into effect.

But here in Ohio we are not supposed to have a waiting period for a rifle but the background check is taking 6 days. The fed told the gun store clerk to release the rifle in 6 days, if they didn't call back. That is unacceptable!

Has anyone else had to wait-out this non-waiting period?

Is it that they still don't have the bugs out of the system or is this a not so slick way of applying a waiting period?

If I somehow lose the $200 I put down on the rifle, from governmental error; I am going to be angrier than Marvin the Martian!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: Waiting For Background Check

Here in Illinois we do have a 24 hour wait on long guns. However, typically, they have the OK on th background check before you leave the store! Assuming we are all working off the same system, your 6 day wait doesn't make any sense. Last gun I bought was about a month ago with no issues.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Last rifle i purchased at the Cabela's Hamburg Pa. store took three hours from purchase to walking out of the store with said rifle.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Go to the extra effort and expense and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then the background check is already completed and at least in Idaho/Utah/etc the transfer is immediate.

Besides every one should have a conceal and carry permit, regardless.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Go to the extra effort and expense and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then the background check is already completed and at least in Idaho/Utah/etc the transfer is immediate.

Besides every one should have a conceal and carry permit, regardless.
10-4 on that....just wish my Utah CC permit meant something here at home in Illinois!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

I thought the background check was a Federal thing that should be similar in all states. I realize that States may also get into the act and may complicate the process. 6 days is too long.

I purchased my last rifle about a month ago. The background check phone call took less time than it took me to fill out the 4473 form.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

You should not have anything to worry about regarding your $200 - if for some reason you are denied they should give you a full refund.
Yes the NICS check can take up to 6 days - it is less than a perfect system. Most normally go thru right away. Every once in a while a flag goes up - that may or may not have anything to do with you. Normally its not - if you have a common first and last name that alone can cause a delay - not always but sometimes. Most often you will hear back well ahead of the six days. I have had customers no sooner walk out of the store and we get a call from NICS saying its ok to go. In the event that you are denied the shop you are working with will provide you with a number to call.