Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Vortex Challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Vortex Challenge

Well, ready to head out. Probably gunna get my butt schooled but I am doing this with my brother so it's ok with me. I have not had a bro day in a long time.

Anyone going to be there?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vortex Challenge-rifle-ready.jpg   Vortex Challenge-ammo.jpg  

Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Challenge

Brent, good luck and hopefully you'll draw an early start time---it's gonna be hot.
And have fun going up the widowmaker.................

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Sunscreen and hydration will be as important as windage and elevation.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

If anyone is interested the results have been posted by Vortex now.

Overall, we did better than I thought and way worse than we should have. We wound up 22nd out of 57 teams. 53 finished the event. Some teams didn't finish due to heat and injuries.

It was a great experience, humbling, and very educational. I will likely plan to do this event again as it was a lot fun. We had a lot of issues at first with communication, spotting, and working through the shooting pace. As the day worn on we did much better but still had a long way to go. My brother had zero experience with LR shooting, spotting, etc so I had to give him dope and quide him through the entire process as we shot. All in all he did great and shot pretty well, but he didn't find targets easily nor spotted well for me. So as he learned and adapted to the whole ordeal he was gaining a lot of momentum toward the end.

The last station had a 1725 yard target and we decided our score was so bad we would shoot the target for fun. I had not shot this far, so why not. Neither of us connected but we worked right into the elevation by the 3rd shot. We connected with the bonues and hiked to the finish.

It was awesome and tough. We started at 0945 and fought 90 degree heat the entire day.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vortex Challenge-team.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Right on Brent!

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

You have no idea how impressed I am. To even step up to the plate in that way has my respect. Go get 'em next year.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. It really was a great experience and a lot of fun.

My brother really struggled with the first station. It was awkward for him to locate the targets and in his haste and frustration he was hard racking the bolt and setting the trigger safety sear off. He had several until I was able to explain why it happens and got him to settle down. Then he hurried and lost track of the targets and ran out time. So bummed for him. Our next biggest challenge was communicating spotted shots. He had bit of a tough time with this and I would shoot and he was not on target. It was like watching dumb and dumber. I knew better and he knew nothing. Ha ha
What created a lot of the issues for us both was up hill shots and not having the correct rifle support to be comfortable. We needed more elevation. I am used to this and work with it ok, but he is not and scoped himself several times. Just bumps, nothing bad, but as you know it messes with you. As a result of poor sight control we had some missed targets that should have been avoided. I missed a few of the half moon shaped steel because I aimed at the wrong spot and shot the stupid straps. Duh
Wind reads were not too bad but I made a really bonehead call on my bonus shot. Still mad at myself for that 1. Very dumb.