Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Very useful tool ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Very useful tool ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The EPA removed the fiddle factor when they went to Tier 4 standards.

I believe we got a cross tangent whilst discussing I was not speaking to Tier 4 standards ,I know absolutely nothing about it, sorry about that. Just to my experience with what we use.

Whether the mileage is relative or not, when you by a thousand gallons (or better)of diesel a day; every drop counts.

Unless something goes terribly wrong with the CPU, I can't see how a DPF engine can sense a malfunction with a programmer on it. That leg is cut completely out of the system, it can't sense something it doesn't know is there.

Your rig sounds dern sweet. I wish I knew how you only have 89K on a 16yr old truck!

As with all "childproof" inventions, I believe even the Tier 4 systems will be bypassed. Where there is a will, there is a way. Give it time.

t

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sure knowing American ingenuity, there will be upgrades and power enhancers. I'm referring to Class 8 on road diesels. You can't fiddle with them because commercial vehicles are always subject to roadside or weigh station inspections and all the upper class Barney Fife's can plug right in to the ECM port and download everything if they want to. Under FMVSS regulations, they can now check yiour exhaust for opacity visually plus they can do a sound meter check, having you rev the engine to a certain rpm and let off so straight pipes with engine brakes are a thing of the past.

I only use my truck for farm stuff, usually pulling a gooseneck and it's just about time to put it up for the winter. It won't come out until April I keep the truck and my Caddy in the garage all winter. My Caddy is a 2006 Deville DTS with 41 thousand on the clock. No rust on eitherr.

The Caddy is a nice rifle toter, especially long barreled rifles. The center of the back seat folds down to access the trunk so you can lay a big rifle in without trying to stuff it between the doors.

I drive a beater in the winter. Wintrer here is hell on a vehicle. Between the salt and the terrible roads, winter eats vehicles.

A thousand gallons a day is nothing. We get three 5500 gallon tankers of diesel every week plus a 1000 gallons of unleaded for the company cars. If I remember correctly, we spent a bit over 11 million in fuel last year, just diesel. That don't include the shop, lubriucants, shop technicians, body shop, frame shop and everything else.

We have just over 100 tractor trailer outfits, mostly Western Stars with double bunks and a couple Freightliners. Thats what I do, I ride herd on the drivers and their games.

It's a great job.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I'm staying away from the current discussion as I'm enjoying my vitamin c in screwdriver.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I'm staying away from the current discussion as I'm enjoying my vitamin c in screwdriver.
Slotted, Reed and Prince, phillips or Torx (let me guess..... TORX.)

I just had a tall glass of Blue Diamond Chocolate Milk made from walnuts.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've also noticed that there is a growing proliferation of posters selling services and retail sales, cleverly disguised into threads, which I tend to remind the poster that to advertise on here (other than used stuff), requires you to be a paid advertiser.

I advise them and report the post to Len... Usually, the whole thread vanishes in a short time....

No one reads the 'users agreement'. It's entirely optional.
Yep, and I almost missed this one >>> Best 6.5 bullet for elk?? # 13

It's pretty sad that we have a 14 year old (kudos to Riley) that reads the FAQ and some adults do or perhaps they just ignore it and see how long they can get away with get.

Quote:
Slotted, Reed and Prince, phillips or Torx (let me guess..... TORX.)
Captain Morgan spiced rum black and and simply orange.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You can't disable the emissions because everything is electronically controlled, no more mechanical injection pumps. It's even in farm tractors. JD is now using DEF on Tier 4 compliant engines and everyone will soon follow suit.

Engines have become so complex that mechanics aren't mechanics anymore, they are technicians. You can't diagnose an engine malfunction without plugging into the ECM connector and downloading the data to the manufacturer who, in turn, tells the technician what to replace-repair.
Why do you think the over the road trucks are having such a struggle with IT4? I'm in Ag as you know, I expected a nightmare but IT4 has been super smooth for JD and I'm expecting final 4 to be smooth since it'a the same engine only adding a 2% tops of DEF on the back side. Tier 3 is an ongoing nightmare though we got it fairly well nailed down and really it's just injectors.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Why do you think the over the road trucks are having such a struggle with IT4? I'm in Ag as you know, I expected a nightmare but IT4 has been super smooth for JD and I'm expecting final 4 to be smooth since it'a the same engine only adding a 2% tops of DEF on the back side. Tier 3 is an ongoing nightmare though we got it fairly well nailed down and really it's just injectors.
It's not really a struggle, more of an added expense for the end user. Without raising your hackles, I can't believe that JD or anyone else that has to comply has a smooth road to travel because no matter who the engine builder is, the engines all utilize the fuel to do the same thing.

Most all of this emissions crap is just that. Crap.

What occurs in the on road trucking arena is you, the consumer gets to pay for the added cost of operation in increase freight cost which 'trickles down' to you.

In the ag arena, the government helps out with the farm bill (or at least did)....

I figured you'd chime in when I mentioned JD.

Not to muddy the water but I heard that Kubota meets the Tier 4 standard without DEF. If true or false, I'm sure you know.