Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Varmints of a Different breed.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Varmints of a Different breed.....

Mike,

The only problem I have with hog hunting in Texas, is that nearly every land owner that I've ever talked to, wants some sort of "Trespass Fee" to come onto their property and hunt.

I refuse to pay someone for the "Privilege" of removing their problem animals.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Varmints of a Different breed.....

Kaney,

Therre are a LOT of places to hunt here that aren't too expensive. Most charge some sort of fee as it is supplimental to their other incomes.

Tim,
The main reason folks charge for access is that they are trying to recoop something from the damage done as well as suppliment their income. Not to mention the way the law is set up here, if you step out of your truck on my property, and hurt yourself, I am liable. There are so many suits against folks for just that reason that most would rather not even chance it.

I understand your point completely however, I have been in the same position through the years. The biggest thing is to check out references for any trip before it is booked. Find out the numbers of game as well as the kill fee's and such.

I am at work now but when I get home this evening, I will post up a couple of links to a site or two which might help you out some.

As it stands now, I am simply helping out some friends try and keep things in check on their family places. I could shoot deer if I wanted, but the hogs are much better (IMO) not only tasting, but there isn't a limit on them. So it works out for all of us. I fill my freezer, and help keep them in check.

Since the first of Nov. there have probably been well over 50 shot and the grandson and I saw another pack of close to that saturday. Here is the one we did get,

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"