Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

In Utah, a Town Digs Deep to Battle Prairie Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
PUBLISHER

In Utah, a Town Digs Deep to Battle Prairie Dogs

PAROWAN, Utah—There are about 2,790 humans to defend their turf in this farming town. They are up against a foe with superior numbers: 3,435 Utah prairie dogs, give or take a few pups.

And the critters have the law on their side.

Prairie dogs—simply "dogs" among locals—have invaded yards and lots, pockmarking lawns and gardens all around town. They have tunneled into a cemetery in a nearby town. Another indignity: The dogs' disregard for the small Parowan Airport, where they have dug tunnels under the runway, buckling it.

Jim Carlton / The Wall Street Journal
Councilman Dennis Gaede shows prairie dog damage to an airport strip.

Officials like Dennis Gaede, a Parowan city councilman and former U.S. Marine, worry a plane will hit a hole while landing. Of the prairie dogs, he says: "We need to annihilate them."

Do that to prairie dogs here and you could go to jail. Elsewhere, they are so populous they can be legally shot on sight in many cases. But the ones here along the western edge of the Rocky Mountains aren't ordinary prairie dogs. They are Utah prairie dogs, a species listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

Residents face penalties up to a year in prison and a $50,000 fine if they "harass, harm, pursue, hunt…" Utah dogs under the Act.

READ MORE >>>

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: In Utah, a Town Digs Deep to Battle Prairie Dogs

It sounds like they need to trap another badger or three and release them inside of the fence at the airport..
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Another guy made a good point on the forum. While i believe he did it in an unaproreate way the words were truth (the rest was junk). He says that Laws are only the Law if the majority of people follow it.

We all need to go out there with our 22's and help them out. Tell the Feds they can relocate all they want and in 2 weeks we are comming in each with a brick of 22 LR I believe that if you lower the population in the city limits there will still be enough outside the city that can survive. Protect the ones out in the middle of no where...

And a few more Badgers would be Nice, yet another way we can get around the dumb laws that our politicians have to pass.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM

A rodent is a dang rodent. Did any of you see that article a few months ago in Petersens Hunting magazine about how do to an obscure law the enviro's actually make money of these federal endangered species cases? And they call long range hunting unethical. Steal taxpayer dollars by protect animals that could potential kill people.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

How crazy is this? I no more than wrote my previous post this morning, and then I find this story headlining fox news.

FOX News - Top Stories - Environmental groups collecting millions from federal agencies they sue, studies show - Page 1 of 6

How's that hope and change working out?