Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

USPS strikes again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 AM

USPS strikes again

Located some pretty nice walnut not long ago and shipped it to Al Lind in Spokane for turning to fit a Ruger number 3 custom last Saturday. Since it was wood and very well packed in a sturdy box, and then wrapped in bubblepack and enclosed in peanuts (the same way it came to me btw). I didn't insure it. I've shipped walnut before, but never had a problem. Al contacted me last night with the sad news. Box had arrived ripped open with no contents enclosed. Inside was the note I had sent to Al with the wood. Had also written my name on each piece of wood with a Sharpie just so there would be no confusion on Al's part (he turns lots of wood).

Anyway, here is what was send in the next two photo's and here's and below that the pictures of what arrived. And I thought UPS was hard on stuff.

After arriving:

Makes you a tad sick for sure. Not only do I have to dig up some nice wood somewhere, but I bought this at a good price and it was over 25 years old.

I'll contact the local post office today and Al's going to talk to the folks on his end. I'm however 99.9% certain this is gone forever.

PS. Anyway, if anyone has anything laying around in the English category they want to part with. If so, drop me a PM. Thanks :(
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: USPS strikes again

Well insurance wouldn't have helped. I sent a scope insured and they damaged it. I had the local usps package it and insure it. They paid $175 less than it was insured for and proven value of. They told him he was lucky to get that. I don't send anything through the usps anymore.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Nothing like being robbed by your government. Can't tell you how many magazines I've had stolen by USPS. Filed a complaint once and they sent some big burly bitch to our door claiming to be our "carrier" who then proceded to try and intimidate my wife who was armed at the time and doesn't scare easy anyways. Filed a 2nd complaint about the "carrier" but nothing ever came of it. Our magazines started arriving monthly again though.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

I pretty much always send stuff insured since it that way it mysteriously seems to get lost less.

For awhile, we had a "mail bitch" who left things out in the open though we have a 50 foot covered porch, would leave pick up notices in the mail box because we "weren't home" when we were because she was too lazy to come to the door etc. I finally went with a zero tolerance policy and reported EVERY problem to the local Postmaster. I finally told them that I would be sending any misdirected mail, and there was quite a bit of it, I received to the Postmaster General for redelivery. The problems finally stopped and the mail bitch went on to other employment opportunities.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about your wood was a nice slab.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Somebody knew that was good wood and stole it.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Man, that sure is heartbreaking... it was some really nice wood.