Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Using a Kestrel and Ballistic App.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 AM

Using a Kestrel and Ballistic App.

I'm new to long range shooting and trying to get this figured out. I have downloaded the "Shooter" ballistic app for my phone. One of the features is auto weather, in which the app, downloads wx data from the nearest wx station to calculate the trajectories.

After reading some of the discussions on LRH, I'm confused. Posters have indicated that the wx stations baro pressure is corrected/adjusted for sea level pressure (SLP). So if that is the case why would the program use those pressures? For example I'm in MT at 4500'. I'm not suppose to use the baro pressure from wx station b/c it is off?

Also If I use my Kestrel 3500, posters say I must adjust the the altitude to ZERO to get the correct pressure to input into the app? (when it isn't downloading the wx from local station due to no signal) Is that correct? or can I just input the the pressure/altitude from the kestrel and GPS? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Using a Kestrel and Ballistic App.

If you live near Helena send me a PM and I will help you out.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM

I'm a transplant and live in Helena, MT. Read your profile, I'm a sponge, looking to learn everything I can about this LR shooting. I'm also interested in getting started in reloading, as it seems to go hand in hand.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 AM

I'm a transplant and live in Helena, MT. Read your profile, I'm a sponge, looking to learn everything I can about this LR shooting. I'm also interested in getting started in reloading, as it seems to go hand in hand.