Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Urgent question about flying w/ firearms/ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Urgent question about flying w/ firearms/ammo

Are there any new regulations regarding flying with firearms and ammo? The last time I flew to a hunt was a few years ago and it was required that your rifle was flown separately from your ammo and that it was in a locked case(are there any specifics on how the ammo needs to be stored?). Please inform me of any new regs since Im leaving this Friday the 10th to hunt speedgoats w/ some friends in E. MT (a little late to be asking this question, eh!-- I should have asked sooner but ive been very busy at work and time has slipped by fast).
THanks for any quick responses!
Drew
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Urgent question about flying w/ firearms/ammo

3 yrs ago i flew to canada to hunt rifle moose and then we had to have our guns in a locked case and the ammo in a seperate container. i dont know if anything has changed, we called before we while before we left and the airline told us the ammo was supposed to be IN THE CONTAINER WITH THE RIFLE, well that changed real quick when we got to the airport. i was honestly scared they were gonna arrest my dad. they allowed us to put the ammo in our checked suitcases and everything was fine after that. if you call ask to speek to a manager or someone high up on the food chain.

also what ever case you put your guns in, make sure it is a strong sucker!!!! they dont call them "baggage throwers" for nothing. something like a aluminum case or a strong plastic like Storm or Pelican cases would be great. those little plano thin plastic cases will make the trip hard on your guns

good luck hunting
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Urgent question about flying w/ firearms/ammo

Depends totally on your specific airline. Some require the ammo to be in the original cardboard boxes.

Call your airline!

BH