Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Urban Cowboy Tactical 45-70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Urban Cowboy Tactical 45-70

Just wanted to share my latest project:

Working on it. Got it zeroed for 405 grainers @ 1050 fps, sounds like a .22 short or so. Full house 2000 fps loads sound like a .22 Hornet with most of the recoil and flash gone away.

Takes less than a minute to change back to a normal scope and no suppressor setup. All legal here in Finland but you canŽt use the nightsight for normal hunting though,I keep repeating this!

Cleaning up wounded and/or traffic injured animals just got remarkably easier,I do it a lot. The vision is very good up to 100 meters in total darkness with the IR on , 3 X WA magnification and a red dot. We have dark here for about 15 hours a day now.

Tough to get pics through the sight,IŽll try again with a tripod. In the last pic you see the small IR-radiator on the left side of the scope.

Modern Classic? Or just nuts? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Urban Cowboy Tactical 45-70

WTF. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Way to freaking cool. Man I would love to splatter a whitetial with that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Just nuts. Jealous. I.E., drooling over my chin. Must be fun. Paul
Old 11-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Gold Member

That is just wrong!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Petander, very cool rig. Is there any caliber restrictions in Finland, what about range restrictions? Some areas/countries are getting crazy about range limitations.
It is always good to hear from folks in different countries, with different ways of doing the same job.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Hiya! Thanks for the kind replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We have certain minimum energy rules for big game. No range limits -luckily, these energy limits make some sense in smaller calibers but they can be misleading too.

Also,our big game license and shooting test system is quite controlled. It is a good thing IMO.

But:

A 44 mag does not kill a Finnish deer, neiher does that 1050 fps .458 405 grainer above. A 308 kills a moose ,a 243 is minimum for deer. Stuff like that.

Most hunters around here are not extreme ballistic nuts like me. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Okay,time to go for the morning deer shift. Short range,dark so IŽll take the Marlin now. IŽll swap to the "normal" Shirstone scope so I see less (to obey the law)and to the full load so I make more noise... man,these full cast loads can take anything on this planet. Laws are fun! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 PM

Hello Petander,
That is a nice set up that you have here.
Would you share with us the recipes of your subsonic loads?
How fare have you shot it while keeping at least 2MOA of accuracy?
Don't you have problems with lead deposit in your barrel? (a gunsmith not fare from where I live, built a similare set up for a customer, except that he suggested using paper patch bullets to avoid that problem).

Enjoy yourself while the "Eurocrates" are not bothering you yet.

ND