Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

UPS strikes again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

UPS strikes again

This morning I tried to ship a take-off barrel from the UPS company terminal in Angleton, TX. This is not a privately owned UPS "Store". I patiently explained that the stripped barrel was not a firearm, but the lady said it could only be shipped by a licensed dealer. She went on to explain that they wouldn't ship any firearm parts except by a dealer.

I have occasionally seen threads about problems with UPS, but this one seems silly. The USPS shipped it and the only questions they asked were was it fragile, did I need insurance and did I need someone to sign for receipt.

Is this a common occurance at UPS, or might it be just my terminal? Does anyone know of any recourse? This sure takes the shine off doing any business with them.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: UPS strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
This morning I tried to ship a take-off barrel from the UPS company terminal in Angleton, TX. This is not a privately owned UPS "Store". I patiently explained that the stripped barrel was not a firearm, but the lady said it could only be shipped by a licensed dealer. She went on to explain that they wouldn't ship any firearm parts except by a dealer.

I have occasionally seen threads about problems with UPS, but this one seems silly. The USPS shipped it and the only questions they asked were was it fragile, did I need insurance and did I need someone to sign for receipt.

Is this a common occurance at UPS, or might it be just my terminal? Does anyone know of any recourse? This sure takes the shine off doing any business with them.

Tom
Make them call their regional/national service center and ask, or ask for the manager. The lady didn't know the rules!!!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

When going to UPS I've learned to use terms like "manufactured alloy cylinder" instead of "rifle barrel".....It seems to help.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
When going to UPS I've learned to use terms like "manufactured alloy cylinder" instead of "rifle barrel".....It seems to help.
Creative euphemistic approach!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

UPS, as a privately owned and operated company, can either deliver or refuse to deliver anything they choose, and their decision doesn't have to be based on Federal firearm laws. Same as flea-Bay deciding not to allow any gun related auctions.

But it does seem silly that UPS wouldn't ship a 20-30" long piece of pipe.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Rule #1 NEVER ADMIT THAT IT IS GUN RELATED Then you never have problems lots of other things in this world that look and weigh the same.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

So what do you do when it comes up missing or damaged? Since a US postal service employee stole a 5 panel 460 Weatherby Lazermark from me, I am a bit cautious. Never did get it back. So are you suppose to fib or stretch the truth about the contents, then eat it when they deni the claim?

Jeff