Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ultimate Hunting Vehicle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

Ultimate Hunting Vehicle?

I am in the process of building what I consider the ultimate hunting truck. What are your thoughts and opinions on the subject?

My thinking is something that can haul people when the family is down and my little one gets old enough, I can sleep in fairly comfy when needed, and something that can "wheel" with the best of them to get out of sticky situations when by myself which is most of the time.

I think ideally, maybe with a different bed and drivetrain, The Off Road Designs "Cousin Willard" is near perfect in terms of a hunting rig. It has enough cab space for comfort, while still being a truck. I used to think my '07 Jeep JK Unlimited was the hunter's choice until faced with putting a bloody animal in the back and I keep breaking front axleshafts...

Offroad Design - Fullsize 4x4 Performance

The truck I'm wanting to build is basically the same as Cousin Willard, but with Dodge badges. There's a crew cab Dodge locally I'm going to try to purchase. Currently, I'm building a '74 Ramcharger, an old beater '75 CJ5 for the rocks, and my JK, but soon hope to get the crew cab and start work.

My dream specs include:
pre '93 Dodge 4 door truck,
Mopar smallblock- 360 or so inches,
Standard transmission with granny gear, standard for push starting with dead battery and for towing trailers,
Kingpin D60 front axle with 4.56 to 5.13 gears and locker,
Corporate 14 rear with locker- may settle for D60/70 or similar rear for ground clearance,
H1 double beadlock wheels with runflats and 37" tires,
wheelbase shortened as much as possible, narrowed fore and aft and possibly boatsided- if the cab can still be sealed,
small custom bed for hauling critters and just big enough to haul ATV,
healthy winch on front, small ATV style winch in bed,
plush, comfy, and quiet interior with rubber floor, AC and good heater,
CB radio and a nice GPS,
onboard air, and onboard weldernator

What's your dream safari/hunting truck? What features would you like to see added to your choice of hunting rig?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ultimate Hunting Vehicle?

You are looking at my Raptor and it is the best one I have had to date click to see bigger pic:
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Those are for sure nice! I'm glad to see they came out with a 4dr rather than just the extended cab style.

Nice truck!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
I am in the process of building what I consider the ultimate hunting truck. What are your thoughts and opinions on the subject?

My thinking is something that can haul people when the family is down and my little one gets old enough, I can sleep in fairly comfy when needed, and something that can "wheel" with the best of them to get out of sticky situations when by myself which is most of the time.

I think ideally, maybe with a different bed and drivetrain, The Off Road Designs "Cousin Willard" is near perfect in terms of a hunting rig. It has enough cab space for comfort, while still being a truck. I used to think my '07 Jeep JK Unlimited was the hunter's choice until faced with putting a bloody animal in the back and I keep breaking front axleshafts...

Offroad Design - Fullsize 4x4 Performance

The truck I'm wanting to build is basically the same as Cousin Willard, but with Dodge badges. There's a crew cab Dodge locally I'm going to try to purchase. Currently, I'm building a '74 Ramcharger, an old beater '75 CJ5 for the rocks, and my JK, but soon hope to get the crew cab and start work.

My dream specs include:
pre '93 Dodge 4 door truck,
Mopar smallblock- 360 or so inches,
Standard transmission with granny gear, standard for push starting with dead battery and for towing trailers,
Kingpin D60 front axle with 4.56 to 5.13 gears and locker,
Corporate 14 rear with locker- may settle for D60/70 or similar rear for ground clearance,
H1 double beadlock wheels with runflats and 37" tires,
wheelbase shortened as much as possible, narrowed fore and aft and possibly boatsided- if the cab can still be sealed,
small custom bed for hauling critters and just big enough to haul ATV,
healthy winch on front, small ATV style winch in bed,
plush, comfy, and quiet interior with rubber floor, AC and good heater,
CB radio and a nice GPS,
onboard air, and onboard weldernator

What's your dream safari/hunting truck? What features would you like to see added to your choice of hunting rig?
I carry gin poles to use for lifting critters off the ground to process them, the older I get the more I appreciate things that make life easier.

Gus
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
I carry gin poles to use for lifting critters off the ground to process them, the older I get the more I appreciate things that make life easier.

Gus
At first glance thought that was a Idaho mule deer then saw the funny flat horns and realized it was one of them moose thingy's.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post

Gus
That looks to be a homebuilt rig, what are the specs? At first I thought it was a bobbed Deuce, but on closer inspection, it can't be, with the frame and axle like that. Looks like a capable rig for sure though.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
That looks to be a homebuilt rig, what are the specs? At first I thought it was a bobbed Deuce, but on closer inspection, it can't be, with the frame and axle like that. Looks like a capable rig for sure though.
The green buggy is based on a 715 chassis, lower gears in the axles and a 318 and Torque Flite.

Gus