Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ultimate Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ultimate Hunting Rifle

TWF my Sendero weighs 11 lbs with a scope and bipod on it. If you get a good sling you really do not even know it is there. You can also buy a used Rifle and use the action on it. If you want a light rifle I would get a #5 from Lilja and have him put deep flutes in it. But rifle weight is over rated if you ask me. A lot of guys think you need to have a 5lbs rifle to pack in places and that is simply not true. Most people that say that never take the time to carry their heavier rifle before the hunt. If you do not want to flute your rifle then go with a #4 contour. I would also stay away from the 7mm or 30 cal Lazz and 7mm and 300 Ultra mag cartridges. They are way over rated if you ask me for how much more powder you have to burn to get the 150 to 200 fps over a standard. No offense to anyone with a Ultra or Lazz I have a 300 Ultra in my gun safe but the truth is the truth. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you take a 300 win or what ever you decide and put a 28 inch barrel on it you will be happy with the performance.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Get a barrel from Advanced Barrel Systems. They are made on Rock 5R barrels with a new type of carbon winding that is far superior to the Christensen barrels and they shoot really well. I have used 3-4 of them and have been happy.
Forget about the Lazz. action and do it up on a Remmy in 300 WSM or Win Mag.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

I own several big game rifles and the 7SGW is my favorite, but if you want a true mag action contact Olympic Arms they have a true mag action that can handle up to a 500 nitro express. they also make great barrels and can do all the work needed for a fair price you can pick up a stock and your ready to go. Think twice about 800 yard shots its not only the gun but you and a very good scope.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Downing the big cases huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] No offense taken here cause I agree with you on the excess amount of powder I am burning in the ultra compared to the 7mm mag or stw. TWF just start with a good action and do a little homework on barrel selection and you should like what you end up with!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Your correct optics are just as important as the rifle. The question is which one to go with, personally I have always use leupold, but am began looking at the Zeiss Conquest. I really don't know that much about Nightforce and don't particularly care for their reticles. Swarovski is always an option, but it does seem to be that popular on this website. Any reccomendation would be appreciated.
TWF
Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

TWF I have used several kinds of optics and the conquest is a nice scope with good quality lenses and also their reticles are etched on glass. Leupys are nice and the bushnell elites are also. If you want a high end scope the zeiss or burris black diamond are IMO the best for their price range. If you want to go thousand plus then swarovski or Shmidt& bender are your other options along with a couple more. Check out the Burris Black Diamond if you haven't already you might like what you find.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Bronze Member

Is This What You Are Going For.

I like when people have a picture like the gun I am looking for.So here you go.There are more pictures at the link. Lazzeroni Warbird S&B PMII 4x16x50

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will give you the run down on a Lazzeroni Warbird