Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ultimate Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Ultimate Hunting Rifle

It might be impossible!!! I'm am looking for a rifle that will be able to accurately shoot and kill an elk or other North American big game animal at and over 800 yards. I had previously considered Lazzeroni, but it cost too much. Then it was Christensen arms in a Lazzeroni caliber, but too many bad evaulations. I think the lazzeroni long action .308 will do the job, but I need a rifle capable of handling the round. Another important factor is weight. I would like a Christensen barrel (graphite or what ever it is) but I have heard a lot of bad things. Another options is a fluted barrel, but I haven't seen one that wasn't stainless. I would rather not carry something so shiny around the woods. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Thanks,
TWF
Old 02-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ultimate Hunting Rifle

Just go get yourself a REM 700 Sendero in a 300 Win mag or build one on a REM action. The 300 win will do the job ask GoodGrouper he shot a Elk at 820 yards with his. Another cal to look at would be a 7mm STW.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Thats right dakor. To me the long action lazzeroni's are nothing but rem ultra mags with a few tweaks for a performance edge and the short actions are winchester short mags with the same tweaks. I like the lazzeroni so all you lazz fans dont jump on me yet! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I would go with the sendero in a 300 win or ultra mag if you prefer a 30 cal and they are availanle with the barrel fluted without being stainless ( new model this year called VSF ) or perhaps look into the 7mm STW dakor mentioned or the original 7mm mag or perhaps the 7 rum all of which with good bullet choices would make great long range hunting rigs! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Check out 820 yard cow elk pics and see the results goodgrouper had with his 300 win mag and a 180 grain accubond. That setup worked great at that range! If you want a custom rifle start with a good rem 700 action and go from there and have it chambered to whatever you want. Also lilja barrels offers some custom barrels in the remington sendero contours and I'm sure since rem has come out with the non stainless fluted in there factory offerings lilja will sone have it too if they dont already. Hope that helps you out a little! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Senderos weight like 400 pounds with a bull barrel. Where would you get a Remington action, if you wanted to convert it to something like a Lazzeroni caliber. How and who could do a good job of changing a standard Remington action to something that could handle a Lazzeroni.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:29 PM

From what I could tell the remington website showed the biggest caliber for the VSF at .308
Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

You can get the actions from brownells but you will need an ffl dealer to order it for you. The rem model 700 is available without the bull barrel in a sporter weight that is still very accurate. The remington action should need no mods to handle the lazzeroni calibers since they are basically the same dimensions as the ultra mags rem offers. Another way to obtain an action is find a used rifle that someone is wanting to get rid cheap but that mat take some time. The actions from brownells are around 350 dollars if I remember correctly. If you want to check out the actions their web site is www.brownells.com and check out lilja barrels website to cause they offer several weight of custom barrels. I think theirs is www.liljabarrels.com.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

It may not be available in the magnum calibers yet but from what they told me in an email it would be offered in them.