Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Two deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Two deer?

First light you see s doe you got a permit.. and after watching her you notice a shy young buck but he don't seem to follow her, acts like strangers.
but you look at the doe you see no fawn. but this stranger, the buck has small nubs.
the Doe is all grey around the face what deer would you shoot and why.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Two deer?

Near my home I would take the old doe in a heartbeat. We have a large population and it needs to be managed for buck, not to increase population. In a low population area I would seriously consider taking the button buck although I often opt not to harvest a deer if it is not a mature buck in a low population area.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Doe

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

I would shoot the Doe . cause dead bucks can't grow !

BigBuck
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

I would be enjoying some doe back straps on the grill.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Well, I try my best to never shoot a buck unless he is mature or obviously has bad genes(one good side one jacked up side of equal dimensions in general. so the obvious choice would be the doe. Our doe to buck ratio is in the neighborhood of 17 to 1 so game and fish tells us to pick a doe any doe. My camp requires that we shoot a doe before we can shoot a buck and then it has to be at least wider than his ears and at least eight points. this is due to a long tradition of the older members not believing in shooting does at all, and shooting the first legal buck they see. had the rule for three years and it is working, I killed my first ever genuine trophy last year. He grossed 161 and netted 147. not one for the record books but with 24 inch main beams and 22 inches wide with 13 scorable points it is a trophy by any standard. Sounds almost too simple but I read one time that you will never ever kill a trophy if you shoot the small ones. I have lived my it since and I now see trophy sized deer on a somewhat regular basis off my stand that others don't get a chance to see. and it is fun to watch a small buck grow from a button to a dominant monster over the years. If you got a lot of does, and less bucks, shoot the does for freezer meat and let the bucks grow and breed.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Nanny.

No second thoughts.

Brian