Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which Truck should I buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Truck should I buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
My wife has that truck also. There cute
Yeah they are nice looking. You would have one too if they made a triple XL crew max cab for it. As of right now, I guess they could take out the divider from the front seats to the back cab and make it a one seater for you. I guess the one friend you have could ride in the bed of the truck but I thought your pet pig always rode up front with you.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Yeah they are nice looking. You would have one too if they made a triple XL crew max cab for it. As of right now, I guess they could take out the divider from the front seats to the back cab and make it a one seater for you. I guess the one friend you have could ride in the bed of the truck but I thought your pet pig always rode up front with you.

300ultra... dont make fun of him... its a big truck to him cause he has to use a rope ladder to get in and out.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

300ultra...You do know that Mike will be on vacation and out of town during your elk hunt right?? ..... He didnt tell you?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Bought one just a year ago and had the exact thought process you do.

Don't want "new", gotta be 4 door 3/4 ton or better, diesels are sweet but do I really need one etc etc...

Ended up with an '09 Chevy 3/4 ton, 4 door with the 6.0 gas V8. Man I couldn't be happier!

It was 3 yrs old with 90,000 miles (mostly highway as far as I could tell), got it for $22,000. Closest thing to it I could find in a diesel in my neck of the woods (same year, size, mileage etc...) was $30,000 or more!

Pros:
4 door cab has plenty of room and 2 pc back bench seat folds up for extra room back there.

I didn't get to pull with it much til this summer. Went campin' with my dad and took my in-laws new camper ... 9,000 lbs. Got some pretty steep uphill switch-backs to navigate and it pulled awesome! Dad was following with his '98 Cummins and camper. He was super impressed, got him sold on buyin a newer gas pickup when his wears out. Coming home from that trip we took a backroad with some dang steep, narrow downhill switchbacks. The transmission is amazing, not an Allison, but it did awesome! Put it in 1st gear with the "tow/haul" on and it held to 20 mph for 4 miles of steep, steep highway. Only touched the brakes once, no joke... I was tickled pink.

Also came with the tow-package, integrated trailer-brake controller etc... works great

Cons:
Gas mileage was as expected - 15 or so avg (not pulling). I did get 18 on one trip to Salt Lake City but it's mostly downhill and I was really babyin' it. 10-12 mpg with a light load and less than that towing 8,000+ lbs. But I was ready for this so no biggie...

Low... ride... -er... Might look into bigger tires/ crank up the torsion bars or somethin... unless you like huggin' the ground

Mine's the basic LT model with the black rubber/plastic floor instead of carpet. It cleans easy but sometimes I wonder if it isn't just a cheap cop-out on their part. Oh well...

One other thing:
If you don't mind the bad gas mileage, look into the older (like '07-ish) chevy 1-ton gas pickups. They've got an 8.1 Liter V8 with a genuine Allison tranny, I believe. My father-in-law ran one for work the last 5 years (company bought the gas of course), he LOVED it. I mean LOVED it... They just took it from him this year and gave him a '13-6.0L chev and you'd have thought they castrated him to hear him talk ha ha He pulled snowcats and all sorts of stuff all over the place with that 8.1... uphill and down... never an issue. Just FYI...

Happy shoppin'!!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Which Truck should I buy-dsc_1378.jpg  

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Oh you dont have to worry about Mike ghettoing his truck out when he gets it. Once he buys it, he will take it straight to "Bumpin Customz" and get shiny rims and have everything chromed out like he likes it.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

I know you said no ford but hear me out my father just went through this. He had 3/4 ton 7.3 l diesel. He has triple axle dump trailer, 36 foot gooseneck with d7 dozer on it. Thought he was stuck spending extra for the diesel. He ended up with the 3.5l ecoboost and he swears he will never go back. I will be the first to say he drives like a dick always hauling ass. He also will never lie about fuel mileage." He got 12.8 with his diesel". At 80 mph cruise set 19.8 mpg. Avg. And as far as power it will pull more than u should wi th a pickup. I just got over 10,000 lbs of sugar beets in the dump trailer and it had no problem. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Oh you dont have to worry about Mike ghettoing his truck out when he gets it. Once he buys it, he will take it straight to "Bumpin Customz" and get shiny rims and have everything chromed out like he likes it.
Would do that myself if I had the $$ and a kitchen pass...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-