Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Troubled Dealings advice needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Troubled Dealings advice needed.

Give me a break!

How hard do you need to hit a stock to crack it!
If the package was NOT damaged then it was cracked before shipment, If it was damaged in shipment then your packaging was damaged too!

Unread 01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

The thing is they commonly criss cross long boxes or bridge over gaps to stabilize the load and can end up with up to 1000 pounds resting on it while supported on the ends. It may not show much of anything on the box. A wood pistol grip is an easy spot to break on a wood stock. I recently had my Ruger 77V fall over on the rubber floor of my van and it cracked right through the pistol grip without leaving a mark on the rifle anywhere. I'm a dealer and I cringe whenever I have to use UPS ground. Almost every time the boxes arrrive and look if they had gone one more day the rifle would be out of the boxes. I think the throw them like javelin's as I have had more than a few show up with the barrels exposed. When I ask my driver about them they always say that they were improplerly packaged because the contents are coming from the inside out.

I use Fed Ex Air or Priority mail with much better luck. UPS is so short handed and the attitudes are getting so bad it seems like they are taking it out on the frieght. I just avoid them until they get their act back together.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Some more info-

The box arrived damaged, but the receiving end signed for it anyways without checking the contents first. He took some photos and sure enough, there's a crease right where the pistol grip would have been, and that's where the crack in the stock occurred.

He took some photos of the box and stock and emailed them to me that night, and I filled out the online complaint form that night as well. A few days later he was contacted by phone to email them photos of the box and damage, which he did.

That was about 3 weeks ago. Today I get a phone call from UPS requesting additional photos because they could not make out the damage from the photos. I said I would get the additional photos over this weekend and email them accordingly. 2 hours later I received an email saying the claim was denied due to "insufficient cushioning". That's BS as the packaging exceeds the suggestions listed on the UPS website.

Needless to say, I've got an uphill battle with UPS.

On a side note, I prepared myself for this from UPS and went on to acquire another stock for the rifle anyways. I figure at this point I'll offer the stock as a replacement to get the rifle back to "sell-able" condition and get my money refunded. I'll just eat the cost of the stock and move on. Assuming the buyer accepts that offer.
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

I think there is something that needs to be posted here. I my self lost a new rifle due to theft in the postal service. I had a barrel damaged in shipping with no compensation from UPS. I saw a friends rifle with chips the size of a dime out of the composite stock after someone in US postal service punched through the box with what I think was the claw end of a hammer... etc.

Here is what I now do:

1: Never never use an address with any indication of a gun shop. Use the first name on the FFL. Believe it or not there are thieves and anti gun people looking for guns that work in the shipping system. They will steal or damage your gun if they can.

2: Box them so they will take a beating... because they are going to get one. Box and double box them. Here is what I do. place them in a safe sock, then in a hard plastic case, then in a cardboard box. I have even cut 1/4" hardboard pannels and slid them in along the flat sides for a more puncture proof package and added strength.

3: Disguise the box. Never use a box with gun manufacturers name on it. Use a generic box or make one or turn one inside out. I even take a marker and write "Curtain Rods" on the box....

I know hind sight is 20-20 and this seems like a lot of work. But, in the long run it is way easier and less expensive.

Last edited by Broz; 01-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

UPS is a joke. In my line of work I get to see alot of UPS trucks with the driver unloading. The inside of the truck looks like a trash compactor loaded the truck...especially around the recent holidays when they were delivering cartons to stores. I guess if enough people have bad experiences then business will drop off enough to where they'll have to figure out that it needs to be corrected or continue to lose business. I refuse to use them.