Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Re: Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

I put a Timney on my Wby MK V action. I currently have it adjusted to break at 2 Lbs. I am very happy with it, breaks very cleanly. I would reccomend it. It was easy to install as well if you want to do it yourself.

Unread 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Sniper2, I am doing great cepting for this mad March march in the landscape biz. Everybody wants it all and they all want it yesterday [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Par for the course for me I reckon as this trigger won't go below 3lbs 12 oz backed all the way off. I used a Lyman digital trigger gauge and ran a series to get a avg.

So , I took Sam's advice and sent the trigger group to Highperformance Gunsmiths in Hamilton , Montana as he said he was a wby go to man and could turn it around quickly .

Jim B.
Unread 03-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

I have 2 Mark V in 257 and both have the stock triggers. They are just stoned and adjusted to my likeness. I hunt with my both of my rifles and they fine for me.
Just one of the reasons Weatherbys are niiiice.
Unread 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

3 pounds? Thats hard to beleive. How much sear were you running. If it's too deep it will sit there at three pounds. Tighten the sear engangement screw until it slips off and then back it out 1/8 of a turn or just a pinch more. This will give you plenty of sear for safety and cut a pound and a half off the pull. Now your at 1 1/2 pounds. Want lighter? Take the assembly off and either replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one from Brownells for $5 or do like I have and trim the spring so it is just the right length to have just no slack or pressure when the pressure screw is backed out all the way. Then take up the slack on the spring with the pressure screw and give it 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload. Then put it all back together and recheck for safety. This mod will allow you to get well under 1 pound safely.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Unread 03-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Thank you for all your replys!
But now I have a hard time trying to decide whether I should send the trigger group to Kevin Knight to have it worked over, or just go ahead and order the Timney trigger [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Unread 03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Save yourself some bucks and replace the spring.
Unread 12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

I have the same issue, mine measures just under the 64 oz mark on my RCBS scale. Do you change the outer spring with the washer at the top, or do you have to remove the roll pin and change the spring inside the trigger group?

Thank you