Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

Hi everyone

I recently got a hold of a Weatherby Mark V Europe in .300 Wby Mag, manufactured in 1979 in Japan.
I do not like the the factory trigger so I have decided to have a gunsmith install an aftermarket trigger. So now the question is, which one?
These are the ones I have found so far:

1. Timney

2. Jard

Shilen do only list triggers for Rem 700, 40X and the XP-100 silhouette pistol, donīt they have any trigger for the Weatherby Mark V? For Canjar and Jewell I have not found any websites, do they have replacement triggers for the Weatherby Mark V? Are there any more manufacturers who make triggers for the Weatherby Mark V? Which trigger would you recommend?

I am mostly going to use the rifle for long range target shooting and if I get the opportunity, some lrh as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. So I want to be able to have a fairly light trigger pull.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

/ Johan
Old 03-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Re: Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

Ok, maby there is not so many Weatherby shooters here?
Based on your experiences with triggers from any of the above manufactures which do you think that I should go for? Or simply, which one of these companys makes the best aftermarket triggers in general?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Blank:

Seems to me that a short time back some discussion went on about Jard triggers and it wasn't favorable. Try a search for Jard and it should turn up. If it was me, based on what little I've read and heard, I would go with the Timney in an aftermarket trigger, or try to find a good smith that has experience with Wby. triggers and get it worked over. I believe that Timney is the only mfg. that makes a complete replacement trigger for the Wby.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Blank: If you don't want to go with a Timney trigger you can have your factory trigger worked on. Kevin Knight does excellent trigger jobs on Wby. What is great you just have to send him the trigger group and not the whole rifle. He can take them down to 1 1/2 lb. if you want to go that low. Kevin does excellent work and his turn around time is usually fast. Here is his website and if you talk to him tell him Sam said hello. I hope this helps. Sam.

http://www.highperformancegunsmiths.com/
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

I have a few Weatherby's and I usually just adjust them down to whatever I want. They will go down to 16-18 ounces with the factory spring. With a spring change they will go down to 6 ounces. Welcome to brotherhood of Weatherby shooters. Yesterday I got to wring out an 338-378 Accumark. What a hoot. The brake they put on those is very effective. I swear it kicks about the same or slightly less than my unbraked 25-06 kicks. We were shooting 115 grains of RL-25 behind 225 grain Barnes TSX's. Even my 14 year old was winging them into nice sub 1" groups. Then we pulled back to 300 yards and put a thrashing on a bunch of clay pigeons. The trigger on that rifle didn't take 5 minutes to put down to 18 ounces.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

You have inspired me to fix or destroy my friends mkV trigger . May it be on your head not mine . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Hey Jimm hope you are doing great! I have several friends who have Mk V's and their triggers are stock and have adjusted down very nicely.You will not have trouble adjusting the triggers! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]