Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Trigger Time - Practice ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

Trigger Time - Practice ?

If you were to buy/build a gun for practicing (not hunting - I have a 338rum for that) long range shooting what caliber would you get? What barrel contour and length would you get.
Two criteria inexpensive ammo, good barrel life. Break???
Thanks

Last edited by MN Hunter; 11-07-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Trigger Time - Practice ?

I would try to match the ballistics to the round I hunt with as close as possible. That way when you switch from rifle to rifle, you don't have completely different data in your head. Yeah, I know, thats what data cards are for, but I try and memorize all of my windage, drop, and come-ups for each weapon I fire.
Less variation = less confusion= more consistancy=more first round hits.
Myself, my trainer IS the rifle I plan to hunt with!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

A 308 is about as good as you can get. Brass and bullets are plentiful. Accurate loads are well known and documented. Recoil is manageable. Barrel life is thousands of rounds. It is much more sensitive to winds than magnums so it forces you to pay attention to wind. It is also a very decent cartridge for hunting most animals out to about 800 yards or so. A 26 or 28 inch barrel helps a little with velocity but is not necessary, just stay away from really short barrels. Contour is more a matter of how you practice. If your practice is formal competition then you need a pretty stiff barrel such as might be found on one of the Savage F-class rifles. If you are just going to shoot at milk jugs and such, then something on the order of a Sendero Contour would be satisfactory.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Why not do a 6br? Half the recoil of a 308, 33% less powder, cheaper bullets too... and better ballistics. I built one and I couldn't be happier!