Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

trigger job question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:30 PM

trigger job question

I'll start out by saying that I am just a regular hunter that likes to view this sight and read all of the great stuff here. I am basically interested in precision, not necessarily long range. Anyhow, I have a question.
Is it as easy as it seems to do a trigger job at home?? By just about anybody with a few mechanical skills?? I got step by step directions on the net on how to do a trigger job on a remington. Seems pretty straight forward. Am I missing something? My local smith charges 70 bucks and has my gun for a week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Please let me know if I am off base, and tell me why or why not.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: trigger job question

Adjusting a Remington trigger is very easy. I can't address stoning the surfaces.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

If I can adjust a Rem. trigger, anybody can!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yes, it's very easy to do.

After properly adjusting your trigger, you should be satisfied enough with that, I would think, and not have to stone anything. At least I'm happy with mine.

A "tuned" Remington trigger should suit you..sakofan.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 09:27 AM

Rem trigger is not hard, sear engagement can get most of the creep out if it is a problem then the pull weight 2-3 lbs for most hunting guns.Over travel is my pet peeve on most triggers I like the trigger to stop moving when the sear breaks for the shot.If your smith is charging a lot to adjust the thing should feel like a Jewell Trigger.Rifle Basics sells a great trigger for a ltttle over 100 bucks.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Also depending on how much trigger pull you want you can get spring kits from brownells and adjust it down to 1 1/2# for around $13 a far cry from $70 but you got to remember you are paying him for his time and knowledge.

All you have to do is install the new springs and adjust travel screw and engagement screw to have the thing break crisply and cleanly and a whole lot lighter. All is done with no stoning.

Just remember to do a cycle test where you cycle the bolt very fast to see if the sear is set properly and also you can do a bump test to check the same thing but I always do the cycle test as you donot want the rifle going off as your cycling the bolt if the sear is not engaged enough. Also make sure safety functions correctly.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 AM

After you get done adjusting the trigger, put a drop of nail polish on the screw head so they don't back out. This can be easily removed if you need to readjust.

Tony