Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

trading my 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: trading my 7mm rem mag

Huh, I just noticed I misspelled "advice."

The 270 Win is my favorite all time caliber. I now have 3. One has a Hart barrel dedicated to Barnes bullets, another has a Broughton-Richards that shoots Bergers, and a brand new one with a Krieger I have yet to shoot.

If I ever decide to start parting with my gun-safe occupants and keep only a couple/few, all are gone but my 270s. For the hunting I do I don't need anything else.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

As was previously stated ...If you don't have to deal with property lines the 243 is fine. It will kill anything BUT, you might have to go look for it.

If you need to put a deer down a 270 or 7RM with the Sierra 140gHPBT will drop one way quicker than the best bullet in a 243(probably the 85g HPBT Sierra). Both will put a fist sized exit hole in the ribcage where the 243 will to about a 50 cent piece sized hole. I have seen a deer run over 300 yards with blood pumping 6 feet out the 50 cent sized hole but have not seen one make it over 20 yards with the fist sized hole(most of the time they drop right there with chunks of lung and heart spread out behind).

There are some other good deer killers in the 243 family like the 260,7/08, and 308!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
As was previously stated ...If you don't have to deal with property lines the 243 is fine. It will kill anything BUT, you might have to go look for it.

If you need to put a deer down a 270 or 7RM with the Sierra 140gHPBT will drop one way quicker than the best bullet in a 243(probably the 85g HPBT Sierra). Both will put a fist sized exit hole in the ribcage where the 243 will to about a 50 cent piece sized hole. I have seen a deer run over 300 yards with blood pumping 6 feet out the 50 cent sized hole but have not seen one make it over 20 yards with the fist sized hole(most of the time they drop right there with chunks of lung and heart spread out behind).

There are some other good deer killers in the 243 family like the 260,7/08, and 308!
that combo gave the most dramatic kill I've ever gotten, 150yrds I shot a 4x5 muley in the heart. He flipped over backwards and stuck his rack in the dirt, propped himself up perfectly to dress him out. Took me quite a bit longer to dress him out than it normaly does though, I couldn't keep from laughing
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Bronze Member

Keep your hard earned money, there's nothing that old 7 mag can't be adjusted to do that any of those pip-squeeks can do, adjust the velocity and bullet types with powder until you find what your looking for..and in the future if you need some power you can always adjust upward way further than those little guys could be pushed.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurels View Post
Keep your hard earned money, there's nothing that old 7 mag can't be adjusted to do that any of those pip-squeeks can do, adjust the velocity and bullet types with powder until you find what your looking for..and in the future if you need some power you can always adjust upward way further than those little guys could be pushed.
Thanks for your input, but I am not a reloader.