Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

trading my 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM

trading my 7mm rem mag

I live in Wisconsin and currently have a savage 110 in 7mm rem mag. This gun is much more than I need for deer hunting. What I am considering is trading it for something like a 243, 270, or 25-06.
the reason for the smaller caliber is I am wanting something that is reasonable for both deer and coyotes.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
tincan
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: trading my 7mm rem mag

270 is all you need. You can load 85 gr bullets in it all the way up to 165. I don't care for the other 2 you mention.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a 270 and 243, 270 I feel is a bit much for coyotes, 243 is a great round, but if you feel the 7mag is too much I think you'll find the 270 maybe also. Don't get me wrong my 270 is my go to hunting rifle, but I've never felt under gunned with the 243. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to shoot anything twice with the 243, like the saying goes "it kills better than it should"
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

With respect to Joe, he is correct with his advise on the 243.

Let me qualify why I do not like that caliber, and it has nothing to do with me thinking it is an inadequate caliber for deer. It is not.

Many years ago I took a friend on a hunt and placed him on a mountain about 50 yards off the property line for the hunting club lease next to ours. He had many years of experience and many deer kills with his 243. Nothing unusual.

From that spot, he shot a big buck through the lungs with a hunting bullet/factory ammo. Same stuff he'd used for years. The buck took off running down the mountain parallel to the fence-line. Ultimately it jumped the fence and headed 90 degrees into the next door club where 2 other hunters put the buck down with their 30 cal rifles.

Regardless that my friend placed a killing shot, he did not put the buck down and the other hunters claimed it. There was no argument from me. This would have been the biggest buck my friend would have taken at the time. The fact is, the deer was running and dying at the same time, it just didn't die fast enough and made it much further than I like to see with a well placed lung shot.

This is just the way I roll but if I see only ONE instance where something is not to my satisfaction, I will never use or promote it. The same thing happened with my first experience in TX with a buddy on his first pronghorn hunt. He shot his buck at 234 yards with a 308 and factory Hornady SST ammo. The buck took 4-5 shots to die and the bullets were exploding on the shoulder blade with NO penetration to the vitals. Hence, I will never ever use an SST bullet.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Keep the 7MM Mag and load accordingly for your game.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

I agree.Keep the 7mag.Load 139-140gr bullets and shoot everything you would with the smaller calibers.It's gonna shoot flatter too.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
With respect to Joe, he is correct with his advise on the 243.

Let me qualify why I do not like that caliber, and it has nothing to do with me thinking it is an inadequate caliber for deer. It is not.

Many years ago I took a friend on a hunt and placed him on a mountain about 50 yards off the property line for the hunting club lease next to ours. He had many years of experience and many deer kills with his 243. Nothing unusual.

From that spot, he shot a big buck through the lungs with a hunting bullet/factory ammo. Same stuff he'd used for years. The buck took off running down the mountain parallel to the fence-line. Ultimately it jumped the fence and headed 90 degrees into the next door club where 2 other hunters put the buck down with their 30 cal rifles.

Regardless that my friend placed a killing shot, he did not put the buck down and the other hunters claimed it. There was no argument from me. This would have been the biggest buck my friend would have taken at the time. The fact is, the deer was running and dying at the same time, it just didn't die fast enough and made it much further than I like to see with a well placed lung shot.

This is just the way I roll but if I see only ONE instance where something is not to my satisfaction, I will never use or promote it. The same thing happened with my first experience in TX with a buddy on his first pronghorn hunt. He shot his buck at 234 yards with a 308 and factory Hornady SST ammo. The buck took 4-5 shots to die and the bullets were exploding on the shoulder blade with NO penetration to the vitals. Hence, I will never ever use an SST bullet.
I've had deer run when they should have dropped too, had it happen with my 7mag and with an 06, it was the bullets, the 7mag it was SST's the 06 BT's, the one with the 06 I had 3 rounds exit close enough that a lung fell out of the hole, the 7mag I put 3 into the boiler room and finally intentionally busted his back legs just to stop him(that deer was just a tough bastard) found out when I rolled him over he'd been hit hard already by somebody else. WTF Lesson: some critters hang on to life with an insane tenacity others don't. If memory serves I've never had one go more than a few yards with the 243, correction 1 antelope buck went 50yrds I #$% up and only cut an artery in his neck, the 270 has been an absolute killing machine for me. My point is that shot placement is paramount but every now and then your gonna run into one that just won't friggin die no matter what you do.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe