Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Tooth Paste Trigger Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Tooth Paste Trigger Job

Hay Guys This is An Good One .

The other day I was watching an T V show an they was Talking about 25 years ago this guy had bought an New Ruger blackhawk Pistol . An that He Took It apart An Filled the insides with Tooth Paste an Put It back togeather an worked the Trigger an tell The Trigger Snothed Up .
An He Called It an tooth Paste Trigger Job .

Have any one of you Guys did this Before . An did you use Speermint or Plain Tooth Paste ?

redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 12-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Tooth Paste Trigger Job

STOP! Do not use toothpaste. The flouride will seize up your pistol. This was a very acceptable process before flouride was introduced. Several gunsmiths, who made their living doing revolver action jobs, went out of business after this article came out. The acceptable practice, nowdays, is to fill the action with yogurt (no fruit) and work the action until smooth. This is called the "Smoothy Action Job".
Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Yogurt will indeed smooth the action, but due to the sugar content, you will have to floss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
db
Old 12-23-2006, 11:51 PM

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had an old High Standard revolver that was built by Dan Wesson that I used to use to shoot compatition with. I did the toothpast trigger job with it. They made a toothpaste that had pumice in it to polish your teeth I guess. Never did brush my teeth with it though but it sure did do a good job on smoothing up the inside of that gun. Just keep pulling the trigger and every now and then add some more toothpast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Bronze Member

I read an article about 20 years ago where the writer suggested mixing oil and pearl drops tooth polish to pack fishing reels. Attach a drill where the handle should go and run the fishing reel for about a minute to smooth up the innards. My guess was the reel would loose a years worth usage doing that.

I polish trigger parts with 1000 grit emery paper. doesn't remove much metal but makes them real smooth.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

Is there some rubbing compound that would be fine enough to substitue for the toothpaste?

Just a thought ...

dwm
Old 12-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Gold Member

I think the toothpaste is as fine as would be needed. I have a customer, who repairs and builds pocket watches, who uses toothpaste to polish the crystals.
I would caution anyone using this "toothpaste" method to clean out the action thoroughly.