Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Tire Chain Possible Problem 2003 Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tire Chain Possible Problem 2003 Explorer

I usually chain up before Im stuck
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Tire Chain Possible Problem 2003 Explorer-werner-snow.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Ive owned and still own a 4 x 4....and a 4x4 with chains is running somewhere that 4x4 was never meant to go!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Ive owned and still own a 4 x 4....and a 4x4 with chains is running somewhere that 4x4 was never meant to go!
+1 but Colorado does have a chain law. It's for your safety.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
But they sure are handy for getting back when you go too far...
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Bronze Member

In my opinion it isn't hunting unless you have to chain up on all 4 to get around. That kind of weather keeps people home and the animals are out feeding in the daylight. It also make them easier to drag with that much snow.

Back to the O.P.'s problem...

Test fit on dry dirt before you have to do it in snow. Check clearance in the front and in the back at full droop and compression while the rig is loaded with the same weight as it would be when hunting. The snow makes the ground look flat but your suspension will still be doing a work out. Also turn your front wheels from lock to lock at full compression to check for clearance. I know you want a general yes or no but your suspension may be different than someone else along with different size tires (as much as 2"+ between brands on the same aspect ratio tire) and loads. I have seen an unstoppable truck with chains on it eat itself once a couple of elk and half a load of fire wood were put in the bed. Brake lines and fenders all took a beating with tight chains.

Be safe and carry recovery gear!

Jay

Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag, all factory, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 PSP factory rounds. Shoots too good to try and "fix" it. Multiple one shot kills to 400+/- yards and one kill at 815 yards.

Winchester Model 70 XTR in 264 Win Mag with Nikon 4.5x14SF BDC running HSM ammo loaded with 140 Grain Bergers. Antelope killer!

Soon, a APS Raptor LRSS Turn Key System in 338 AX. Time to step up my game. Should be finished by hunting season 2014!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

everyone pretty much covered what you need to know but ill reiterate. I run chains a lot and I LOVE wearing chains cause it transforms your rig into a tank. I deally you dont want rubbing to be possible but in a pinch you can make due just get them on good and tight BEFORE you need them and take it slow. Put them on now and go drive around a little and see if there are issues. take along a 4x4 block of wood itll help greatly when putting them on.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad