Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Tinnitis Question - constant ringing in your ears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Tinnitis Question - constant ringing in your ears

Do you suffer from Tinnitus? Do you attribute your Tinnitus to shooting without hearing protection or possibly from other causes. Would you estimate your Tinnitus as being moderate or severe, moderate being always there but not very loud or apparent, severe being a constant ringing or other sound.

Did you guys know the correct pronounciation is Tinn uh tiss, not Tin EYE tiss.
Did you know that this condition is common with dentists and hair dressers - because of their exposure to the high-pitched sound of electric drills and blow dryers. SO, if you are a dentist who likes to blow dry his hair before going to the rifle range...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

I have tinnitus, had it for many years. I wear bilateral hearing aids but nowaday even they don't mask the ringing very well. I attribute the majority to Navy noise (deck grinders, needle guns and high pressure air relief valves lifting). I'm sure I've lost some due to gun fire, loud engines (motorcycle and car) and age but mostly I attribute it to age and having good loud fun.

Aspirin seems to make it worse for me and I avoid using it.

I'd say mine is severe, the ringing is quite loud and at times I can't understand why other folks can't here my ears ringing. My right ear seems the loudest and is somewhat annoying if I care to pay any attention to it. Every now and again the pitch will change a fair bit for some reason but mostly its a constant monotone ringing. The noise level and pitch are definately different between the two ears.

The following was stolen from an authoritative internet site..

"There is some confusion as to the correct pronunciation of the word tinnitus. Many people pronounce it tin-night’-us while others, including most doctors, prefer to say tin'-i-tus. Both pronunciations are considered correct and many dictionaries list it either way. However, the Old English Dictionary, which is renowned for delving into the history of words, describes the first usage from old German as tin-night’-us."

I was taught and use the tin-night'-us pronunciation variant.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I got it and its moderate and worse in my left ear.

I lifted my ear defender to talk to my spotter when a guy next to me in a tunnel range let go with a .475 Rigby (I think it was) %@&* me that hurt real bad and gave me a terrible flinch that took sometime (about a year) to get rid of.

I looked it up on the net and I read somewhere being overweight can cause it and I used to shoot without protection in the Army so I pretty much knackered now :o

Still I get to ignore the missus when she nags about my shooting and I blame it on the Tinitus.

Is that the phone ringin...................................
Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I've had it for years. I have no idea of its cause. My ears, both of them, sound like a night time Lusiana Swamp. I have no trouble with it or hearing loss due to it. Its just there. However, I do have hearing loss at certain freqs expecially in the right ear. The ear closest to a cheap speaker in a cheap for unpadded/uninsulated van I drove for years. Also do to loud noises, mostly engine room, and fella like Dave King's buddies with those needle guns chipping paint.;) Also years of shooting with out ear protection.

It once left for several consecutive days. I couldn't hear any better but it about drove me nuts.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

<raises hand>

field artillery, guns, and prior ear infections (serious enough to cause ruptured drum)

Despite the ringing, I can still hear well enough to hear critters doing their thing (calling or walking through leaves).
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

I got it... both ears... serious.

Came from chemical causes - nerve damage from Mercury.

Shooting never bothered me because I was wearing ear protection "before it was cool".

LRH member #23
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Paul

So what is more appropriate then, catshooter or mad-hatter???

Oh.. and to stay on topic... yes, my ear are still ringing.