Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

As Time Goes By .....(flaming)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member
The few disagreements I have seen on this board wouldn't even rate as a kindergarten cat fight compared to the slanderous personal assaults that regularly go on the other forums. Long Range hunting is the most tolerant to new ideas and the members offer the most consistent good information I have ever seen. I have my pet peeve calibers and rifles. I feel the same about the 45ACP in the self defense world as the 308 rates in my book as a 1 mile cartridge. On some of the other mentioned boards if you dare mention you would take a shot at any animal over 300 yards you are quickly branded as unethical. Give a compliment to the technologically advanced 40S&W and you will start a caliber war! This board never goes there. It's in our rules. I love it here.

I used to consider anything over 200 yards as long range. Now I'm quite comfortable shooting to 600 yards with a high degree of certainty I can make a good shot on the first shot with my factory built rifle thanks to what I have learned by reading on this board. Someday I will own a bona fide 1000-1200 yard custom built by Kirby or Shawn.

A lot of the writing by our board members is worthy of publication. We get it here for free.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.

Unread 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Silver Member
This board is FAN-friggin-TABULUOS!!!

I've been a member of the board about a year and in that time I have learned more from all-ya-all about shooting than the previous ten years combined. I used to think I knew a lot about guns; now I know that I know nothing. Actually I have deleted many of the gun links from my favorites since I spend ALL my time here.

What I have learned in my time here:
Neat scientific terms like corealis effect etc.
300 yards is NOT a long shot.
My dad is correct that an elk at 700 yards isn't hard if you've practiced.
I was correct that shooters in America (the world, sorry downunder and others) are generally a great group of people.

I used to think I was a pretty good communicator through writing, but I have been amazed (and humbled) at the ability of MANY on this board to clearly explain things through their use of words.

One problem with a forum such as the internet is there is really no way to show attitude or mood. One person could mean an inflection one way and someone else could read the inflection another. Without face-to-face feedback and non-verbal clues, the full meaning of someones words are sometimes unclear.

Another point; some people have abrasive personalities. NOT MEAN, RUDE, OR ANYTHING ELSE, just blunt. Many good doctors, surgeons and mechanics I have known have the personality of a cardboard box. My wife has had "issues" with co-workers because of this. She is GREAT at her job but sometimes her job is to tell co-workers or the boss "NO" you can't do that. People don't like being told they are wrong. Oh well, they also aren't paid to be happy. THIS IS IN NO WAY MEANT TOWARD ANYONE, just a point to ponder.

What I have NOT learned from this forum:
How to spel.
How to make my wife "internalize" the value of my guns and stuff. She is absolutly fabulouse about it, but still rolls her eyes at me every time I look at toys like a mistress.
And finally, how to finance all of the (bad/good) habits I have learned from all-ya-all!!!

To the members of salute you!!!

Genises 27-3: Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison...
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
This has been an interesting read, I believe it shows some real appreciation for Len and his site.

Now, about mister Kirby, calling the most amazing cartridge in the history of the planet a "ballistic piss ant...". And then Half-a-Can-of Powder-Per-Shot Grouper jumps right in and agrees with that phrase... Someone has to standup for the little fella, where the hell is Dave King when I need him!!!

You guys fail to understand that a 650 yard shot with a .308 Win. is easily equal in difficulty to a 1200 yard shot with a rifle whose barrel reaches closer to the target because it is thirty something inches long, burns enough powder each shot to refill several .308 cases and hurls bullets that resemble javelins more than the perfect shape of the 175 HPBT! Plus when I let a .308 Win. go the ground does not shake, I don't get a mouthfull of dried grass and gopher turds and my ear drums don't stretch and vibrate for several seconds.

First, I don't know much about ballistics. Second, I do not know what a piss ant is... BUT, I do believe this might have negative connotations towards the most bestest cartridge in the history of the civilized world, plus the whole planet earth as I previously pointed out! Just because the .308 Win. might not have enough poof to ignite some powder charges used by the monster-boomers, does not mean anyone should hold its name in vain!

Not sure if this is the kind of flaming that turned Wyo off, hope not but this is very serious to me. I cannot stand by and let this kind of trash-talk take place about - what was I talking about? I seemed to have forgot already dammit! I've got a couple of thousand .308 cases to reload, when I remember I will get back to you guys. Now whatever it was, no more, OK Kirby!!!

Good thing this is only a computer screen, right guys. Thanks to everybody for making this a fun place to share real info and get a few grins.
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Ok! You guys asked for it really you did!

50 you shouldnt talk down to the poor lil 308 it does have its place.....somewhere??? who knows where that is??? Kiddin with you guys!

There is only one other site I have ever been to with this class of people in it and I will name it. Its a comepletely different subject but the only site that has the same class as us folk.

Every pissin match I have seen in here the opinions are at least based on fact...."FACT" interesting word we all understand that my fact may not be fact when looked at by someone else and vise versa....or whats is believed to be fact by either. Yea its also an opinion based on what?

All that outa the way I know this as FACT you wanna know about long range hunting (no matter how far that is) YOU COME HERE!

I also cannot think of one person on here I wouldnt at least give a chance to meet, provide assistance to or have over for dinner at least once! We are all different have different thoughts on different subjects, but alot of that is determined by where we came from where we are and past experience....on hunting, shooting, ATV's, radios, high fences, you name it.

Last edited by NYLES; 12-19-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Silver Member
This is a great place and the worst place to be!!!! I was told about this site by Hired Gun came over here learned a lot.

Then there is this guy here that goes by the handle Fiftydriver seem this is the bad part about this site. This guy well he is a master at getting into my savings!!!! He is on my third build in about a year and a half… I believe he relies on me to pay his bills.
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
... Facts are facts, ballistically, the 308 is a fat little puppy that does not run well for a long distance. LOL

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby, I don't laugh out loud very often. But that line deserves to be posted on the Humor forum!

Merry Christmas all!

ps: After seeing Kirby's description of the 308, I think I like it more. Afterall, we tend to like things that are similar to ourselves!
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like his partner some guy named "Kirby" man he can sure snuggle up in ya pocket! But the bad part about that is you just wanna send him more I get #1 from him tommorrow and already thinking about #2......even got a check in the mail to him now! Can you believe this guy? Just makes you wanna give him money hand over fist! I even added him the X-MAS card list can you believe that?

Gotta say Ill have the finest rifle Ive ever owned tommorrow! And bet your butt it wont be the last time he builds me one!