Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Tikkamike thank you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Tikkamike thank you!

Over the last few months I found myself looking for a new 223. One that was not on my radar was Tikka. Typical gun store conversation-"No the one next to the plastic piece of junk". Or "it looks like something I'd get for Christmas when I was 6". Following some conversations with Mike I went with a T3 Scout 20" barrel 223. I've got to say this is one of the easiest rifles to have up and running I've found. Scope went right on 2 clicks up and 2 left. It's been stormy here, lots of wind, but a 10 year old beginner is rolling pine cones off the deck. Finally got the conditions to seriously evaluate grouping, and this thing is an honest 0.5" rifle with multiple types of factory ammo. I haven't had this much fun since, well Christmas when I was 6. Thanks again Mike, and everyone else here I've learned so much from.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tikkamike thank you!

Congrats on the new stick. Sourds like shooter.
Mike is a great guy, with a pretty good chunk of knowledge concerning things that go boom. Gives good advise too.
I've done business with Mike a couple times, & Id do it again in a heartbeat. He's a real stand up guy.

Good job gettin the young one into a lifelong hobby Harper.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

That's the kind of word of mouth advertising everybody wishes they had. I picked up the same rifle a little while back. I ordered a rail that accommodated 30mm rings. I must say, the factory rail will never ever come loose through normal wear (copious amounts of green locktite on screws, base/receiver). Just got it scoped up last night. Will eventually get some ammo loaded. Hoping mine shoots as well as yours. Congrats.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Good job gettin the young one into a lifelong hobby Harper.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully he'll get a chance to use it! I hadn't planned on it shooting this well LOL!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Thats great news carl! glad you got a shooter! And thanks all for the kind words.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
That's the kind of word of mouth advertising everybody wishes they had. I picked up the same rifle a little while back. I ordered a rail that accommodated 30mm rings. I must say, the factory rail will never ever come loose through normal wear (copious amounts of green locktite on screws, base/receiver). Just got it scoped up last night. Will eventually get some ammo loaded. Hoping mine shoots as well as yours. Congrats.
I'd like to hear how it works out. That 1-8 twist seem to like Hornady match 75 gr a little better than some other stuff. This one shoots the 60 gr V-Max so well I might forget to experiment, although the 55 gr Z-max was right there as well. One oddity was the 53 gr
V-Max Superperformance it will shoot 3 on top of each other, but then it throws one 3 inches out at 100 yds. Placing yesterdays targets on top of each, has 19 rounds of various ammo in a 0.75" group including the slight difference in zero. Then that one round by itself. I've been blaming me, the wind, etc. but it persists. I'm out of that ammo so I won't be looking into it further. Good Luck!